Question Urgent Help Needed: CPU Overheating

D0D1N

Commendable
May 21, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have recently built my first gaming PC and have been encountering an issue where the CPU temperatures appear to be excessively high. At idle, they seem normal, hovering around 33°C, but as soon as I open an application or even a YouTube video, the fans start ramping up considerably, indicating a rise in CPU temperatures.

To investigate this issue, I conducted a stress test using AIDA64, and the temperatures immediately shot up to 80°C. In response, I powered down the PC, reinstalled the cooler, and reapplied thermal paste (MX-4) in an X pattern to ensure even distribution. I also made sure to apply even pressure when screwing back the CPU cooler. However, these steps did not result in any noticeable changes.

On my second attempt at the stress test, AIDA64 reported a hardware failure and stopped the stress test. I have attached a screenshot of the error message for your reference.

I have only installed the AMD chipset drivers on this system so far, in the hopes of resolving this issue, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. As a temporary measure, I am running the system with the side panel open, and have added three additional case fans.

Here are the specs of my PC:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • CPU Cooler: DeepCool AK620
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 4070
I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights into what might be causing this issue and how to resolve it. Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Best regards,
D0D1N
Annotation_2023-05-27_235921.png

Have you tried just looking at voltages/usage/temps with something like CPUID HWMonitor while doing some of your basic use? 80C doesn't strike me as particularly bad when doing a stress test with any recent CPU. I'm not familiar enough with AIDA64 to give any advice as to how to interpret what you're seeing there (the pic is also somewhere small and hard to read for me).

D0D1N

Commendable
May 21, 2021
I have just made a video it is still uploading but maybe it could be of help:Video
I do not know anything about voltages and stuff, and that is why I made a video.

Edit:https://youtu.be/DobST2oyV0A this is just opening discord the fans start ramping up and the temperature rising

Last edited:
I'm not seeing anything alarming in there for your CPU. If the fans are spinning up too high for your liking perhaps flatten the curves a bit on them. Those temperatures when stress testing that CPU are pretty much exactly as expected. I am a little surprised that you're getting high fan spin when launching stuff as the CPU isn't getting super hot just a burst of heavy load due to turbo. The key takeaway is that there isn't likely anything wrong at all.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello everyone,

I have recently built my first gaming PC and have been encountering an issue where the CPU temperatures appear to be excessively high. At idle, they seem normal, hovering around 33°C, but as soon as I open an application or even a YouTube video, the fans start ramping up considerably, indicating a rise in CPU temperatures.

To investigate this issue, I conducted a stress test using AIDA64, and the temperatures immediately shot up to 80°C. In response, I powered down the PC, reinstalled the cooler, and reapplied thermal paste (MX-4) in an X pattern to ensure even distribution. I also made sure to apply even pressure when screwing back the CPU cooler. However, these steps did not result in any noticeable changes.

On my second attempt at the stress test, AIDA64 reported a hardware failure and stopped the stress test. I have attached a screenshot of the error message for your reference.

I have only installed the AMD chipset drivers on this system so far, in the hopes of resolving this issue, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. As a temporary measure, I am running the system with the side panel open, and have added three additional case fans.

Here are the specs of my PC:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • CPU Cooler: DeepCool AK620
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 4070
I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights into what might be causing this issue and how to resolve it. Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Best regards,
D0D1N
Annotation_2023-05-27_235921.png
Nothing wrong here 80c during a stress test is no problem your fine.