[SOLVED] URGENT HELP NEEDED, CPU upgrade gone wrong

Kazuma Akane

Reputable
Apr 17, 2016
So today I tried to switch out my 1200 for a 3700x. Everything went fine until I got to installing the cooler. I was trying not to take the motherboard out of the case and just install everything inside of it. But it was so hard to latch the two sides onto the hook of the motherboard. At one point I got stuck and tried to get one of the hooks off but couldn’t, so I pulled my cooler upwards to use that range of motion to get it out, in the process pulling out my cpu while the cpu lever was down. I tried again, this time I could latch both sides but I couldn’t fasten the heatsink lever. I struggled more and in the process the cpu came out again. I switched back to the spire and also pulled out the cpu again in the process. I’m so depressed now, the cpu has a couple bent pins, but I heard that AM4 motherboards can be damaged if you do what I did. I turned on the pc and it wouldn’t turn on, no fans no power no lights... Is this caused by the motherboard or cpu? I will definitely get a new motherboard now.

Solution
First, relax. Getting worked up about this is what caused the damage in the first place so relax and get to a point where you can work on this with a level of calm.

So one of the best things to bend back pins is a mechanical pencil. You should be able to buy one almost anywhere including a grocery store. Try to get the ones with the metal tip and that should be strong enough, but to be honest the plastic ones should be fine too.

Once you have the pins bent back, let do what you should have done in the first place--disassemble your system and remove the motherboard to properly remove and seat the processor. I would do this first with your old setup and see if you can get it working. If so, great! Then remove everything again and...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
And did this motherboard need a BIOS update to run this CPU? And if so, did you run that BIOS update?

(This is one of the hundreds of good reasons why questions should ideally be accompanied by complete specs, so people won't just see a mystery PC and go off to the next thread instead).

Kazuma Akane

Reputable
Apr 17, 2016
I bought it from an ebay seller, it had no bent pins when I received it. I updated my BIOS to the latest version that didn’t have a warning against my 1200 (but it said added support for next gen ryzen cpu). In hind I i should have just not try to fasten the lever, it seemed to be stuck enough already.

Kazuma Akane

Reputable
Apr 17, 2016
I am trying really hard to find and rebend pins but I’m having so much trouble, I saw on Jayz’s channel that you could use a razor but I don’t have one, nor do i have tweezlers. This is a nightmare

First, relax. Getting worked up about this is what caused the damage in the first place so relax and get to a point where you can work on this with a level of calm.

So one of the best things to bend back pins is a mechanical pencil. You should be able to buy one almost anywhere including a grocery store. Try to get the ones with the metal tip and that should be strong enough, but to be honest the plastic ones should be fine too.

Once you have the pins bent back, let do what you should have done in the first place--disassemble your system and remove the motherboard to properly remove and seat the processor. I would do this first with your old setup and see if you can get it working. If so, great! Then remove everything again and let's try the upgrade. :)

Remember, slow meticulous steps. Going slow and checking everything multiple times is what will prevent problems during upgrades like this. :)

Solution
you can use the barrel of a mechanical pencil to straighten pins, an old credit card can also help you align them.

if your old cpu works then there was no damage to the socket and any damage would probably have been done there when you removed the cooler.

however (as mentioned) you didn't list your motherboard or if you updated your bios to support the newer chip? suspect the bios doesn't support your new processor and a flash is needed

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Try to gently unbend the pins using a mechanical pencil then align them with a credit card, once you're done seat the CPU gently in the socket following the right direction and don't press it just lock the lever then move it slightly with your hand to check if it is locked down.
After that, you can test if the system boots and you don't need to mount the cooler yet to save you time.
If the system is powered on but there is no display, you have to update the BIOS. If it is not powering on, you may repeat the aligning process.

And the most important step, DON'T PANIC

Just like the peers say, don't panic or run. Go very patiently and without haste. Ryzen pins can normally be straightened. Follow the instructions given to you and watch some youtube video of how to proceed. Aside from the mechanical pencil, someone uses the eye of a needle.

Important. When you have to remove the cooler from a Ryzen DO NOT PULL it directly. Make a small twist so that the thermal paste disengages. (In Intel the cpu is firmly fixed and this precaution is not necessary).

Summary:
With the 1200, carefully update the BIOS to support the new processor.
With great patience straighten the pins of the new processor, also remove any remaining thermal paste.
When replacing the cpu remember the torsion of the cooler.
Do not force the cpu the least to enter the socket. If it does not fit, the pins are not good yet.
good luck!