[SOLVED] Urgent help needed! RTX 3000 PCIE 4.0 Support! Should I swap Intel 10900K for Ryzen?

vainsy

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
Hey Guys,

So I am building a PC and going all out as this will be my only build for many years to come. I recently just ordered an Intel i9-10900K as I figured that this is only a gaming rig, I may as well get the best of the best for my use case. I snapped up the 10900K as stock is hard to find.

However, today I saw GN's video (as I am sure many of you did also) about how Ampere is going to support PCIE 4.0. Since Ryzen is the only platform to support PCIE 4.0 I freaked out and now am thinking that I should swap my 10900K for a Ryzen processor as I would be very upset if I cannot get the maximum performance out of my GPU (I plan to buy RTX 3080 when it releases).

Please let me know what you think I should do as I don't have much time until I can cancel my order of the 10900K. Even though Intel is better for gaming at the moment, do you think I should play safe and just get Ryzen? Or do you think that the 3080 won't have enough performance to saturate PCIE 3.0 x16, so Intel should be fine.

Cheers,

Vainsy

Reactions: HubertTechOn
Solution
I already have my 10900k at home and also waiting for RTX3XXX. I know one thing, however, if NVIDIA does some scam and somehow uses the possibility of PCIE4 and the difference will be significant, this is the last time I bought anything from Intel and nVidia. Then I completely shift to Ryzen and RXy.
I spent too much money on Intel to let nvidia kill these processors now.
PCIe 4.0 just provides more bandwidth. If Nvidia manages to utilize that additional bandwidth in some meaningful way with their new top-end cards, I don't see how that would be a "scam" on their part. They would just be making use of available hardware to extend performance above what they could otherwise do on PCIe 3.0. The upcoming "Big Navi" cards from...
Aug 11, 2020
I guess everyone asks the same question. There is no answer. Have to wait. However, everything indicates that there will be no difference in games, but they will certainly gain mass memory, i.e. NVMe drives, but you'd have to change your CPU to Rocekt Lake.

I already have my 10900k at home and also waiting for RTX3XXX. I know one thing, however, if NVIDIA does some scam and somehow uses the possibility of PCIE4 and the difference will be significant, this is the last time I bought anything from Intel and nVidia. Then I completely shift to Ryzen and RXy.
I spent too much money on Intel to let nvidia kill these processors now. But it is possible.

I spent too much money on Intel to let nvidia kill these processors now.
PCIe 4.0 just provides more bandwidth. If Nvidia manages to utilize that additional bandwidth in some meaningful way with their new top-end cards, I don't see how that would be a "scam" on their part. They would just be making use of available hardware to extend performance above what they could otherwise do on PCIe 3.0. The upcoming "Big Navi" cards from AMD could potentially do the same. If they manage to get a little more performance out of a PCIe 4.0 x16 connection, that doesn't mean the card manufacturer is doing anything wrong.

However, I wouldn't expect noticeable performance gains from PCIe 4.0 on this generation of hardware, unless they are doing something significantly different from prior generations. It's possible that there might be a few percent difference in some graphically-demanding games, but the same could be said for a 10900K compared to the current AMD competition in games that are limited more by CPU performance.

Reactions: HubertTechOn
Solution

thenetvines

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I'm on the same boat bro... just started reading about PCIE 4.0 and got scurred...

In my case, I am not a gamer; I actually want productivity, and also manage my large 4k media collection, so that NVMe bandwidth with PCIE 4.0 sounds so sweet for me, and the future!