[SOLVED] urgent help needed

winkawak

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
My desktop has been having boot up symptoms where pc would power up and immediately shuts down then automatically power up again. Sometime it will turn on and off few times before booting up normally. Recently computer wont even boot up anymore, i would get no display and no HDD activity. The only thing is on is the cpu,case and gpu fans. I thought i had a bad psu so i went and ordered another one, computer still sometimes turns on and off but its alot less then before but it still will not boot up. Do i have a dead mobo?

Solution
There are MANY ways a motherboard, or power supply, can fail or become problematic.

As I said, it's believable if it was only one power supply, or even two power supplies where one of them is an older model that might have been bad long ago but it was forgotten. Two relatively new-ish power supplies, pretty good ones, both having the same problem? Unlikely to the point of almost being impossible.

The problem is elsewhere. I'd bet, something, on it.

Could be the motherboard, could be the case switches. Try disconnecting all of the wiring coming from the front panel of the case. Power, reset, USB, audio, all of it, and then use a flat screwdriver to jump across the pwr + and - pins where the power switch was connected, to see if it...
It's possible, but it's rather early to determine that.

Why don't you start by listing your original and new power supply models, not "watts", not "brand", MODEL. As well, please list, roughly, the age of the original power supply or how long it's actually been in service.

Please also list the rest of your hardware specifications including the model numbers of your CPU, motherboard, memory kit, CPU cooler, case, and the rest of your cooling configuration as well as any other relevant hardware not mentioned. Please include model numbers, not just "well, it's DDR4 3000mhz", because that doesn't tell us enough of what we need to know.

Also, if this is a motherboard with four DIMM slots, please indicate WHICH DIMM slots your memory is populated/installed in.

If you have not yet done so, removing all of the memory except one stick, disconnecting ALL storage devices/hard drives/SSDs and so on, for a minimal configuration, would be helpful.

winkawak

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
It's possible, but it's rather early to determine that.

Why don't you start by listing your original and new power supply models, not "watts", not "brand", MODEL. As well, please list, roughly, the age of the original power supply or how long it's actually been in service.

Please also list the rest of your hardware specifications including the model numbers of your CPU, motherboard, memory kit, CPU cooler, case, and the rest of your cooling configuration as well as any other relevant hardware not mentioned. Please include model numbers, not just "well, it's DDR4 3000mhz", because that doesn't tell us enough of what we need to know.

Also, if this is a motherboard with four DIMM slots, please indicate WHICH DIMM slots your memory is populated/installed in.

If you have not yet done so, removing all of the memory except one stick, disconnecting ALL storage devices/hard drives/SSDs and so on, for a minimal configuration, would be helpful.
Asrock X99X Killer with 8 DIMM Slots
i7 5820K/ Corsair H60
Crucial Ballistix DDR4 8GBx2
MSI GTX 970
EVGA G2 850W/EVGA G3 1000W

Yesterday after countless tries trying to boot it up, it finally boot up but as soon as i turn pc off and try to reboot same thing will happen. Will a bad mobo do this?

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Have you overclocked that box of yours. This is typical on a OCed machine with <mod edit> up BIOS settings. Go to BIOS and restore all to default values.

Last edited by a moderator:

winkawak

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
Is this system fairly new to you, or have you had it for a while and it was working fine but only recently began having these problems?

I built this back in 2015, never had a problem. If i remember correctly back in 2017 once every 3-5month or so during cold start in the morning sometimes pressing the power button once pc will have no response. If i press it again it will boot up normally. Then last couple years i started having symptom where i go turn on my pc it would power on then turns off immediately then automatically back on again into windows. This would happen maybe once every 2 month. But now it will power on and off few times but doesnt boot into windows no display, no hdd light just cpu,case and gpu fans turning.

I was wondering if i bought another x99 mobo will reconnecting my current internal hdd work? Also my windows 7 disc was installed on this hardware will i able to use same disk to install on another pc?

I dont see any sign of capacitor damage, but i starting to think its the mobo.
Have you overclocked that box of yours. This is typical on a OCed machine with <mod edit> up BIOS settings. Go to BIOS and restore all to default values.

Its oc'ed only last couple years but to 4.2ghz at 1.32v. Underload temps were all stable and with this mobo im far from pushing it to the limit. I have aslso tried resetting to default setting but its the same.

So, as far as Windows goes, right now would be a very good time to just go ahead and do the upgrade to Windows 10 while you can, after you get it to POST of course, because Windows 7 support has ended and we are leaning towards Microsoft actually ending that free upgrade sometime in the near future because, let's face it, aside from Windows 7 there aren't that many Windows users out there running something other than 10. Windows 8? Pfffft. Not many running that anymore, so Microsoft knows they really don't have to continue with the free upgrade offer much longer in order to get everybody onto Windows 10. For now however you are still able to upgrade for free and I would take advantage of it.

The fact is, it has many benefits. For one, it has MUCH better driver support for existing hardware. It also has the ONLY driver support for some newer hardware because most of what has been released in the last year and will be released going forward, will not have Windows 7 driver support so you may be forced to upgrade or buy the product anyhow and if it happens after they've ended the free upgrade then you have an additional 120 dollar expense to deal with.

For another thing, once you've upgraded and attached your digital entitlement (Product license) to a Microsoft account that in turn is attached to you, you pretty much don't have to worry about purchasing new Windows licenses for the life of that machine regardless of how many times you change or upgrade the motherboard. Never buy Windows again unless you need it for a secondary system. Your primary system will always be eligible to use the digital entitlement from your primary system so long as it is not being used on another system.

If you've tried both a G2 and G3 PSU that are known to be good, functioning units, then I'd say the problem is most likely, almost certainly, the motherboard, but it might be worth at least TRYING to get it to POST on the bench, as outlined in my guide, just to be sure first.

winkawak

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
The mobo itself has power/restart led button on the board its self, i noticed these buttons dont light up like before and the debug display also doesnt light up or show display

winkawak

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
Then I'd say the board has failed unless you're extremely unlucky and have two faulty EVGA power supplies at once.
Have i mentioned once pc is booted up even during game pc is fine. Just the turning on thats the problem. I dont know much about psu but is there parts inside that handles initial boot up current that might be bad? idk i think im the only one with this weird problem online

There are MANY ways a motherboard, or power supply, can fail or become problematic.

As I said, it's believable if it was only one power supply, or even two power supplies where one of them is an older model that might have been bad long ago but it was forgotten. Two relatively new-ish power supplies, pretty good ones, both having the same problem? Unlikely to the point of almost being impossible.

The problem is elsewhere. I'd bet, something, on it.

Could be the motherboard, could be the case switches. Try disconnecting all of the wiring coming from the front panel of the case. Power, reset, USB, audio, all of it, and then use a flat screwdriver to jump across the pwr + and - pins where the power switch was connected, to see if it starts normally then.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2011-jumping-a-motherboard-without-power-switch-button

Solution