[SOLVED] Urgent I need advice

patrik83

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
Greetings.
I'm an owner of a Ryzen 1600X.During the installation of the CPU i noticed that from one of the pins the gold plating scratched off,i stop the installation immediately.Is the processor safe to install without damaging any of my components?Thanks in advance.

Solution
If the pin is intact and not bent, and it's just not gold colored anymore, that should be fine. The gold plating just makes the electrical connection more reliable because gold is highly conductive.

In actuality, it's called gold flash. And it helps with reducing galvanic corrosion.

Over time, there will be what's known as galvanic corrosion, all this means is that at some point in time, the CPU will stop working.

But as long as it works right now, then just use until it doesn't anymore.

Simple.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
If the pin is intact and not bent, and it's just not gold colored anymore, that should be fine. The gold plating just makes the electrical connection more reliable because gold is highly conductive.

In actuality, it's called gold flash. And it helps with reducing galvanic corrosion.

Over time, there will be what's known as galvanic corrosion, all this means is that at some point in time, the CPU will stop working.

But as long as it works right now, then just use until it doesn't anymore.

Simple.

Solution