Urgent Internet Help. Using an Ethernet switch/wifi extender

Aug 5, 2018
Hello, I live in a very big building that has 3 levels. I am situated on the bottom floor and currently the router I am connecting to is on the second floor. I am getting around 1-4mbs. Today I have noticed there is a 5 port Ethernet switch right outside my room which is connected via Ethernet cable to the router on the second floor (the one I am connected to wirelessly). My question is how do I utilize this for my room.

Are the 2 options:
1. Connect an Ethernet cable into the switch and then into my room straight into my laptop. (The only problem with this is that I would also need internet for my desktop and PlayStation4. So if there was a way of splitting the Ethernet or maybe using another switch in my room. Meaning router connected to switch then switch connected to another switch in my room with several Ethernet coming out)

2. Would getting a Wi-Fi extender work. As in having it plugged into my room then connecting the switch to the Wi-Fi extender then would this mean the wireless connection in my room to be a lot better? Thus kind of creating a new router in my room.

I hope i have explained well enough for you guys and gals to understand. But help is much needed! The ideal situation would be having a way of having good wireless internet in my room.

Thank you so so much community.

Ralston18

Titan
You "utilize it" by working with whomever is the network administrator for the router and the switch.

Get that person to help you make the necessary connections and configurations.

Forum rules prohibit helping with "hijacking" or otherwise making network connections to which you are not entitled to or otherwise authorized to make.

You may not be doing such a thing,

And if not, then there should be no problem working with the applicable network administrator.

Aug 5, 2018
Oh I pay for this internet and the current switch is being used by many people already so all is good?

Anyone have an suggestions for having wireless internet in my room using the switch??

Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Many people? How many?

Very likely that there is just too much traffic on the network. And moving yourself to wireless simply will not help as wireless is inherently slower than wired.

Network performance will be only as fast as the slowest link/device.

And, unless you control access (password) then you may end up with even more wired and wireless devices on the network.

If you are paying for the ISP/Internet and have control of the router then lock down the router and limit the users to those people who you are willing to let on your network.

If performance is slow, considerer having all those remaining people contribute towards the ISP's charges and subscribe to a faster rate of service if available.

Aug 5, 2018
There are 3 Ethernet connections in the switch currently. I have bought a switch which I am going to put in my room and connect it to the the other switch and see if a wired connection will make a significant difference. What do you think?

kanewolf

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from lewispeek23 : "PLEASE HELP! What's the best internet configuration for my room?"

Ralston18

Titan
The more devices you add the greater the load/traffic on the network.

Hopefully the network's router, the switches, and any access points (wireless) will be up to the traffic but performance is still very likely to slow.

Adding more connections (ports) will not add to the speed or performance of the network. Especially wireless.

A possible exception being some faulty device, cable, or ethernet connection (e.g., patch panel or wall outlet) gets replaced and removes an existing bottleneck.

And some of the other users may be doing things as well: adding their own switches, routers, etc.. Downloading lots of files, watching videos, gaming, etc..

Adding connections of any sort will not bring about "good wireless internet".

You will only get the level of service that is being paid for and then only if the network is carefully managed by whomever is overall responsible for the network.