[SOLVED] [Urgent] Laptop leaking electric will spoil external monitor?

Jul 10, 2021
Below is the scenario:
The surge protector damaged my laptop and the laptop adapter due to I keep plug and unplug my laptop without switching the surge protector off (this is due to my surge protector doesn't have on/off switch)
Currently, my laptop is like "leaking electricity" even i changed new extension and laptop adapter.

Question:
Since i bought a new extended monitor, will the "leaking electricity" damage my new monitor?
Cause when i plug in USB cable and as i plug out and touch the USB, it does have some electric shock

Solution
Yes:

You, your laptop, and all connected devices are at risk.

The surge protector should be removed from use.

Computers should not be turned off via some external physical switch.

Windows should be shut down using the Shutdown icon in order to allow Windows time to close things up and get ready for the next boot.

Doing otherwise risks file corruption and with a faulty switch (on a surge protector or anywhere for that matter) even physical damage to the laptop.

Surge protectors do "wear out". They provide protection with a measurement that uses Joules.

Joules are cumulative - that is each power hit adds to the total.

If protection is rated at, for example, 1,000 Joules then once and after the surge protector has...

Ralston18

Titan
Yes:

You, your laptop, and all connected devices are at risk.

The surge protector should be removed from use.

Computers should not be turned off via some external physical switch.

Windows should be shut down using the Shutdown icon in order to allow Windows time to close things up and get ready for the next boot.

Doing otherwise risks file corruption and with a faulty switch (on a surge protector or anywhere for that matter) even physical damage to the laptop.

Surge protectors do "wear out". They provide protection with a measurement that uses Joules.

Joules are cumulative - that is each power hit adds to the total.

If protection is rated at, for example, 1,000 Joules then once and after the surge protector has reached 1,000 joules then the surge protector will no longer provide protection.

Could be that the power surges not only destroyed the surge protector they may have caused other damage as well. Or some other electrical problem led to destroying the surge protector.

That all said, you need to have a qualified electrician inspect your electrical circuits. If current is reaching USB device, the monitor, or any other peripherals then there is something seriously wrong.

Solution
Jul 10, 2021
wow.. thanks for the reply Ralston18...This is very helpful to me At present, the new extension just for my laptop and phone charger only. I touched phone cable type-c work normally. @@ Now I put the new monitor back into the box and wait for the new desktop ba: (

TRENDING THREADS