[SOLVED] URGENT: Laptop wont turn on after thermal paste replacement. Please Help!

Jun 27, 2020
I have an MSI gf 63 laptop. I have had it for over 2 years and the laptop overheated often. I have opened up the laptop several times and cleaned out the fan as it had dust and debris in it. This time, I opened the laptop same as before and removed the fan cover and heatsink. I removed the original thermal paste that was dried out and replaced it with some new non conductive thermal paste. I used alcohol and a microfiber cloth to remove the thermal paste. I then cleaned the fan and plugged the fan connecter back in. Then, I put the heatsink back on and closed the laptop back up. I screwed it back in but when I pressed the power button it didn’t start even when I plugged it in, I thought it might have been a screen issue but the backlight on the keyboard didn’t light up either. I opened it up to check if the battery connector was plugged in and it was. I am really helpless and the laptop is really expensive so I don’t want to replace any expensive parts. Can someone please help ASAP? I am really nervous and really worried, if someone could help that would give me a lot of relief.

Solution
ok step one. try find a tear down of the exact make and model of the laptop.
step two, follow that tear down right down to where you go to when you applied the thermal paste, and doing what they do, bit by bit taking the laptop apart
then watch the tear down in reverse and instead of taking it apart put it back together if that makes sense.

There is a good chance you just forgot to plug something in. hopefully doing what i said above will remove that chance. Heck, i built a system a few days ago and panicked when it wouldnt turn on, turns out i didnt connect the cpu power cord. It happens lol

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
ok step one. try find a tear down of the exact make and model of the laptop.
step two, follow that tear down right down to where you go to when you applied the thermal paste, and doing what they do, bit by bit taking the laptop apart
then watch the tear down in reverse and instead of taking it apart put it back together if that makes sense.

There is a good chance you just forgot to plug something in. hopefully doing what i said above will remove that chance. Heck, i built a system a few days ago and panicked when it wouldnt turn on, turns out i didnt connect the cpu power cord. It happens lol

Solution
Jun 27, 2020
Can having the battery plugged in while making repairs cause an issue with the motherboard? On some other forums thats what people were saying.. That could have caused the motherboard to malfunction.. idk what to do rn. I’ll try the teardown once again but I’m pretty sure I plugged all the wires in as I only removed 2 of them and both of them shouldn’t have had effect on the computer starting.