Urgent! Need help with VGA

deathmask

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
Hey guys - to my previous thread this is a follow up.

My mate will be ordering the 750 TI superclocked this week, and his monitor has a HDMI port but the mobo doesn't support it, but it supports VGA.

The VGA is a 15 pin, according to the link below -

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/LS22PUZKFVHZA

This is pretty much what it is.

He would like to know with the DVI to VGA adapter that comes, does he need to use it and how does he use it so it works? He is unsure and would like to help.

deathmask

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
I don't understand the need for the adapter - ye the GPU doesn't support VGA .., so do I connect the DVI to VGA adapter to the back of my PC or what? It's the bit us two are confused us.

At the back, I only have 1 DVI and VGA ports, do I need another VGA cable or will this adapter do it for me?

Since no youtube video has helped us understand this further.

The VGA from the monitor connecting to the VGA slot at the back or the DVI slot where I place the DVI to VGA adapter?

Update: I'm sure I connect the VGA to the DVI slot using the adapter so it connects to the GPU right?

deathmask

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015

My DVI is a 24 pin DVI-D dual link female afaik.. does the adapter work with it? The one on the PC is a 24 pin female too and the one on the montiro, does the adapter support that?

This is the info I got from this image:

2000px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png

My ones are female I think since it's on the right and on the image it's on the left.

InvalidError

Titan
Which adapter are you talking about? DVI-I to VGA simply routes the analog pins from the DVI-I port to the VGA pins. The DVI-D adapter simply routes the digital pins from the DVI-I/D port to the HDMI pins. DVI-I simply stands for "DVI Integrated" which only means that the port is capable of outputting both analog and digital, enabling you to use either analog and digital adapters or cables with that port.

If your motherboard has a VGA port and your display has a VGA port, you can simply use a VGA cable with no adapters whatsoever until you get your GPU. Same goes if both ends support DVI.

If you do not need the adapter, don't use it. Put it in a spare parts bin or something.