Question Urgent - Pc won’t start unless GPU unplugged

Apr 14, 2019
Okay so I have an issue where my pc will not respond at all when trying to turn it on. The only way I can turn it on is if the gpu is unplugged. It can still be in the gpu slot, but just unplugged at the PCI-e cable. No response lights or sounds when plugged in. When the computer turns on, the gpu does have a red led light above the PCI-e. I don’t know what that means but I have a xfx Radeon rx580 black edition. I think the gpu might be dead but I want to confirm that before I return it. I don’t have another pc to test it on. No integrated graphics either so I’m sort of stuck. I’m looking for a possible fix somehow or something I could have done wrong. The PC worked for 2 days before randomly shutting off. I was out of the room when it happened

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Please post your entire system spec, including PSU make and model.

Sounds like the GPU is dead. Don't know your motherboard but I would suspect the red light is your VGA debug light.
Alternatively your PSU could not be supplying enough power, but I would sooner go down GPU first.

Can you plug the GPU into another rig and see if it works?

Apr 14, 2019
Please post your entire system spec, including PSU make and model.

Sounds like the GPU is dead. Don't know your motherboard but I would suspect the red light is your VGA debug light.
Alternatively your PSU could not be supplying enough power, but I would sooner go down GPU first.

Can you plug the GPU into another rig and see if it works?
No as I said I don’t have anything to test it on that’s why I was just looking for the most possible issue. The red light is actually on the gpu itself. The vga light is also on on the motherboard. The red light is right above the PCI-e slot on the card itself. I don’t know if dead cards would have that light so that’s why I’m doubting it a little

trandaa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
I think the red light lights up because there is no power source. I remember mine (Gigabyte Gaming RX580) lit up a LED at the PCIe power plug, when I forgot to connect it (yes, dumb me) after a swap of PSU and redoing cable management in my case. Unfortunately I don't remember the color anymore.

Apr 14, 2019
I think the red light lights up because there is no power source. I remember mine (Gigabyte Gaming RX580) lit up a LED at the PCIe power plug, when I forgot to connect it (yes, dumb me) after a swap of PSU and redoing cable management in my case. Unfortunately I don't remember the color anymore.
That’s what I figured. I still don’t know if that means the GPU is not dead. I’m new to pc building so i don’t really know what components tend to die and how.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
No need to apologise my friend. Just need to know to try and help.

Realistically the logical options is your GPU is probably dead, or your PSU isn't supplying the appropriate power to it.

Not sure if the red light on your GPU indicates a power problem. I don't know the lights on the XFX model - but it should be detailed in the GPU user manual.

Apr 14, 2019
No need to apologise my friend. Just need to know to try and help.

Realistically the logical options is your GPU is probably dead, or your PSU isn't supplying the appropriate power to it.

Not sure if the red light on your GPU indicates a power problem. I don't know the lights on the XFX model - but it should be detailed in the GPU user manual.
Okay thanks. I guess I’ll RMA the gpu and if it doesn’t fix it then change the PSU. My warranty is longer on the PSU anyway

i'm leaning more toward PSU. 550W seems pretty weak to be running a system like that. but i am not sure how power hungry AMD GPU's are compared to NVIDIA
For those specs, the PSU should be enough. The main issue when it comes to the GPU is what the requirements are at the +12v rail and does the Power supply provide it with a a little headroom. Corsair tends to be a bit generous when it comes to that. That PSU has 45.8a on the +12v rail. I don't know what the requirements are for the GPU and unable to find them. It may or may not be enough.