[SOLVED] URGENT PC WONT BOOT or detect SSD

Dec 18, 2018
Ever since my pc crashed two weeks or so ago its been having on and off boot issues.

The first time it wouldnt boot was when i uninstalled a driver by accident for an application to use my phone as a webcam. stream labs obs was using the driver and then when i went to close s.l.o.b.s. my pc crashed with a driver error. after rebooting my pc once or twice it booted. i ran a repair disk to make sure it was okay and it ran fine. i restarted my pc once more to make sure it would still boot and it did. a few days later i restarted my pc and it wouldnt boot. once again i restarted it and then ran a repair disk and it booted.

Today i updated my keyboard drivers for Corsair and my pc wont boot.

So far i have;
  • restarted the pc several times.
  • run two separate repair disks to no avail.
  • run an install disk to repair to no avail.
  • opened cmd from repair disk and tried: diskpart method(ssd doesnt appear but my hdd does as a UDF(idk what that means)
  • bootrec method(at first /fixmbr worked but now comes up as "the system cannot find the path specified" but prior to that issue it would show as successful and then error on "/fixboot" as "Element not found")
  • tried power cycling the ssd for an hour (unplug sata and leave only the ssd powered for 30 minutes, power off and unplug for 30 seconds, power for 30 mins and unpower again for 30 seconds to no avail)
  • replaced sata cable
-tried swapping power cable with the working hdd cable to no avail
  • tried swapping which port the ssd was plugged into on the motherboard with the hdd
  • left the ssd plugged in and left it on the bios screen for 30 minutes, didnt work.

I'm at my breaking point after 6-7 hours of this and i am starting to think the ssd is faulty. it was working fine for the last almost year.. I don't have money right now to even try to take it to a show to have someone look at it, or to replace it. i dont want to lose all my data on my hdd.

is there any way i can install windows 10 on my hdd without removing my data? can i fix my ssd? someone please help me..

Specs:
Windows 10 home edition(idk what update i had but it was pretty up to date.)
cpu: amd ryzen 7 2700
gpu: Nvidia 1080
motherboard: asrock b450 pro4
ram:. teamgroup tforce 16 gb kit(2x8gb) ddr4 2400
psu: evga supernova 750 p2

SSD: Samsung 860 evo (had windows installed on it)
HDD: Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm 128mb cache (idk the model)

if you need any more info please ask but I'm still learning some things about PCs.

Solution
Do you have a backup? I certainly wouldn't risk installing Windows on a HDD which isn't backed up. As long as it is already formatted correctly. I don't know of a reason why you wouldn't be able to install Windows on a hard drive with existing files. It's not something I've ever tried.

It certainly sounds like a dying to dead SSD. The warranty period is 5 Years on an 860 Evo. I'd RMA it to Samsung for a replacement.
https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/support/warranty/

If you have a Flash drive. I'd just put Ubuntu on the flash drive and boot to that until you can buy a new SSD or your replacement from Samsung comes in. Also save up and buy an external HDD for backups. It's a matter of when not if a hard drive...
Do you have a backup? I certainly wouldn't risk installing Windows on a HDD which isn't backed up. As long as it is already formatted correctly. I don't know of a reason why you wouldn't be able to install Windows on a hard drive with existing files. It's not something I've ever tried.

It certainly sounds like a dying to dead SSD. The warranty period is 5 Years on an 860 Evo. I'd RMA it to Samsung for a replacement.

If you have a Flash drive. I'd just put Ubuntu on the flash drive and boot to that until you can buy a new SSD or your replacement from Samsung comes in. Also save up and buy an external HDD for backups. It's a matter of when not if a hard drive will fail.

Reactions: darpybricks
Solution
Dec 18, 2018

If you have a Flash drive. I'd just put Ubuntu on the flash drive and boot to that until you can buy a new SSD or your replacement from Samsung comes in. Also save up and buy an external HDD for backups. It's a matter of when not if a hard drive will fail.
I hadn't backed my pc up since i built it cus im stupid and like to lose all my stuff apparently.
I'll be filing an RMA With Samsung today. i was procrastinating it ecause of my frustration i needed abreak, also on my phone every website was too laggy to post on, i could hardly make this thread!

THANKFULLY my pc turned on today and im going to be leaving it on till i can figure out a solution to avoid any chance of losing its functionality.

i figured that when i crashed my pc it must have either cause the SSD to start to fail(i read something about when they shut down sometimes they break or something but the firmware is suppose to help that and they have improved over the years.) Since it wouldn't make sense that if I broke the OS I wouldn't see the SSD in my system anymore.

I'm going to backup my pc and install the os on my HDD so i can survive. my backup plan was to install the HDD from my older pc that had a working windows os on it if all else failed. Thankfully as of right now i dont need to.

I will be scanning my SSD to see if windows can detect if its broken in any way and maybe see if it will repair it. I will keep this thread updated i suppose.

Edit: thank you for at least chiming in as it helps me know im going the right direction :)