[SOLVED] URGENT: Possible Failed PSU or Mobo

OnionKing

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
1700x, RX 580. The blinking light above the 8-Pin VGA connector indicates "Abnormal Power Supply". The fans connected to the mobo spin at a low speed, and the LED fans blink or turn on weakly. There is also a slight clicking sound.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdyJzfphj4I

Specs:
Ryaen 7 1700x
16GB G.Skill Ram 3000MHz
ASRock B350 Pro AM4
EVGA 650W GQ Semi Modular
WD 500GB NVMe SSD
Fractal Focus G
Blu Ray Drive

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What PSU is that? I've never seen "abnormal power supply" as an error code... ever.

You have the correct 8pin VGA connector installedi n the GPU, right? You haven't forced a 4+4pin EPS connector in there? (Or vice-versa, a 6+2 PCIE into the EPS slot on the board?).

Please post your full system specs.

OnionKing

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
What PSU is that? I've never seen "abnormal power supply" as an error code... ever.

You have the correct 8pin VGA connector installedi n the GPU, right? You haven't forced a 4+4pin EPS connector in there? (Or vice-versa, a 6+2 PCIE into the EPS slot on the board?).

Please post your full system specs.
Added to main post

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Really, could be either.

Considering the "abnormal PSU" message comes from the GPU, and is located at the PCIe power connector (opposed to elsewhere, suggesting the PCIe slot), I'd be inclined to look towards the PSU before the motherboard, but realistically, it could go either way.

The 'power' is flowing via the motherboard for those fans though..... So I'm really not sure.

OnionKing

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
Really, could be either.

Considering the "abnormal PSU" message comes from the GPU, and is located at the PCIe power connector (opposed to elsewhere, suggesting the PCIe slot), I'd be inclined to look towards the PSU before the motherboard, but realistically, it could go either way.

The 'power' is flowing via the motherboard for those fans though..... So I'm really not sure.
Yeah, the fan bit is odd, and the flashing power light means the PC is turning off and on over and over again