[SOLVED] [URGENT] Sick and Tired of Guessing [Kernel Power 41]

Aug 13, 2020
I would like to preface this by saying that my knowledge of computer parts is bordering on amateur. I basically know the names of the parts and what they do, and that is the extent of it. I would appreciate any help from anyone here. I'd also like to apologize for this massive, lengthy post. I went to AMD, I went to Reddit, and Windows and I haven't received much in the way of coherent help.

I built my PC on August 7th of last year, my specs are as follows:
GPU: AMD RX590 Fatboy
CPU: Ryzen 2600x
RAM: 16 GB
PSU: Corsair CX550m
Motherboard: AX370 Gaming

A few notes, I treat my PC like the almost 1,500 dollar piece of hardware that it is. I keep it relatively clean both physically and internally. I do not overclock my PC, all of my tweaking is done via AMD's software. By tweaking I mean turning up voltage, fan speed, etc. This could potentially be both a GPU AND a PSU issue, I'm hoping that it is only a PSU issue.

For a while now my PC has been giving me issues. Some days my PC will behave like the day I built it, that is, perfectly fine and other days I get at least 5 or 6 errors before the PC starts to behave. Today, I installed Remnant: From the Ashes though Epic Games. I put my PC through different websites that determine whether or not you can run a specific game and each and every single one of them have determined that my PC can run that game on recommended settings. Turns out, the game immediately crashes my PC as soon as the splash art is finished and I reach the title screen. That is just one example of a billion different problems I've been having recently. I will write a long yet concise list of what goes on.

1. I will receive some very hard hang for a few minutes, before inevitably coming to a BSOD saying "Critical Process Died". I look into my Event Logs and see that Kernel Power 41 is usually the culprit. This happens completely at random.
2. Because I'm running with an AMD GPU (Big mistake imo), I often get the Black screen of death that is often associated with drivers. I will lose signal and suddenly my fan speed will go all the way up to max until I shut off my PC. If I click on the Reset button that came with my PC case, I will receive 1 long beep and then 2 short beeps with a black screen. If I turn my PC off completely, it will boot up as normal, but my GPU is reset to what it was out of the box. This also happens if I decide to play more than one game of Valorant without physically exiting the game and coming back in. So far these are the only 2 games where this happens but I have a gut feeling that if this doesn't get resolved soon enough it'll start effecting all of my games.
  1. I can be playing Red Dead 2 on High (Ultra caused severe artifacting) and I will receive heavy stuttering every now and again. (Perhaps unrelated)
  2. Going into Powershell or the Command console on Windows only temporarily fixes the issue, I typed in Checkdisk, restorehealth, all of the common commands that are used to "heal" a PC. Literally nothing comes up as faulty, my memory, my SSD, everything is fine.
  3. This is most definitely NOT an audio driver issue. All of my drivers, and I mean all of them are up to date. I've tried to update my drivers a hundred times already and that does nothing. Windows is also up to date.
  4. I messed with my power settings, preventing my PC from falling asleep, etc and that seemed to have help only in the short term.
  5. My CPU is also fine, it has been fine since I've gotten it out of the box and I'm hoping that it lasts a little longer before I inevitably have to upgrade.

From what I've seen on this website, I'm thinking (and hoping) it isn't my GPU and its just my PSU because those are cheap enough. However the absolute best case scenario for me is to try and see if I can fix my PSU without RDMing it, not in the best place financially right now.
Thank you for all of your help.

Extra Stuff
A full transcript of my system info: View: https://imgur.com/a/vkEhBuz

Can someone describe exactly what Kernel Power 41 is? Can it affect multiple aspects of your PC or just your PSU/GPU?

If you fine folk have anymore questions, please feel free to ask. I will monitor this threat often.

Solution
As a "default" answer I submit that any power supply test on a PSU that results in a "No signal" or other crash likely proves or othewise makes the point.

However, the caveat being that I do not really know what the OCCT Power Test actually does or tries to do for that matter.

Regarding a replacement PSU: Exclude "cheap".

The PSU is a critical system component that must be properly sized (wattage) and of known performance and quality.

Recommended link from within this Forum to help you determine what PSU(s) to consider:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

And I would be remiss if I did not ask about your being able to install another known working PSU to test.

Maybe borrow one from family or friends...
Kernel Power error 41's are simply Windows suddenly turning off without getting the command to do so. It can have tons and tons of causes. I've tried fixing it manually before, but in the end reinstalling Windows has always be the easiest fix for me.

Aug 13, 2020
Kernel Power error 41's are simply Windows suddenly turning off without getting the command to do so. It can have tons and tons of causes. I've tried fixing it manually before, but in the end reinstalling Windows has always be the easiest fix for me.
I tried this, keeping my files in the process. This actually made the issue a little worse if I'm being honest. This is an absolute last resort.

Aug 13, 2020
Take a look in Reliability History for additional error codes, warnings, and even informational events corresponding to the BSODs.

Here is a link that explains the error and offers some things to try:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-windows-10-kernel-power-error/

For the most part the PSU is, indeed, the most likely suspect especially if the errors vary.
I'm going to try and run the stress test via OCCT first thing tomorrow, I'll keep you updated.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020
I'm going to try and run the stress test via OCCT first thing tomorrow, I'll keep you updated.
Take a look in Reliability History for additional error codes, warnings, and even informational events corresponding to the BSODs.

Here is a link that explains the error and offers some things to try:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-windows-10-kernel-power-error/

For the most part the PSU is, indeed, the most likely suspect especially if the errors vary.
Update, all of the other tests using OCCT work perfectly fine and from what I see no errors are detected. As soon as I select "Power" on via Test Schedule, my computer will crash, not BSOD, but rather the "No Signal" crash. Is this a definite sign that it is my power supply that is the source for all of my problems? If so do you have any recommendations for a cheap replacement that might be better than the Corsair CX550x that I currently have?

Ralston18

Titan
As a "default" answer I submit that any power supply test on a PSU that results in a "No signal" or other crash likely proves or othewise makes the point.

However, the caveat being that I do not really know what the OCCT Power Test actually does or tries to do for that matter.

The PSU is a critical system component that must be properly sized (wattage) and of known performance and quality.

Recommended link from within this Forum to help you determine what PSU(s) to consider:

And I would be remiss if I did not ask about your being able to install another known working PSU to test.

Maybe borrow one from family or friends.

Determine if that PSU both works (no crashes, etc.) and passes the OCCT Power Test.

Reactions: TheIronSultan
Solution
Aug 13, 2020

Maybe borrow one from family or friends.

Determine if that PSU both works (no crashes, etc.) and passes the OCCT Power Test.

Thank you for all of your help, really appreciate your time. I'll look around for a replacement thats better or just as good, maybe up the Voltage on my next PSU.