[SOLVED] URGENT - Stuck at motherboard splash screen after installing new GTX 1060

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyHawksGamers

Reputable
May 18, 2014
Hello. This is a serious issue for me and I honestly have no idea how to solve it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is what has happened:

• ■ Firstly, my computer was working fine yesterday. My specs are an i7 3770k, a GTX 660, and 8GB of Patriot RAM.
    ■ I received my new GTX 1060 today and replaced the GTX 660 with it. The installation went fine and I grounded myself beforehand.
    ■ After attempting to start the computer again, I saw the Gigabyte splash screen that usually appears for about two seconds before booting Windows. I also heard the signature "beep" - I believe it's known as a "POST beep" - that my computer has always made.
    ■ The computer is effectively stuck on the splash screen, and I am unable to input any commands - e.g. to go into the BIOS - although the keyboard itself is working, as I am able to enable and disable caps lock and such.
    ■ So far I have heard of two main solutions, which are: clearing the CMOS and updating the BIOS. I am not familiar with how to do either of these.
    ■ Sadly, I also do not know my motherboard model, since my PC was pre-built. However, it is Gigabyte, and all of its exposed features can be seen in the images below.
    ■ I have found what looks to be two pins labelled "CLR_CMOS" (shown in the last image) but I do not know how to activate them.
    ■ I have reason to believe that removing the GTX 1060 or putting my old GTX 660 back in would allow my PC to start normally again, although I do not want to do this unless it's truly necessary.
    The issue can clearly be seen in the video below.
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrBRRkZ_CKE"][/video]

Images of the motherboard:
http://postimg.org/gallery/1ekwd0rwi/

Thank you so much for any help. Please be as thorough as possible with solutions as I am fairly ignorant when it comes to motherboard/BIOS issues.

EDIT: SOLVED IT!

Following this video step-by-step fixed it for me. It was a BIOS issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKTNwboL9Ho
Thank you all, nonetheless. I hope it fixes it for you, too.

Solution
Hello bud

From looking at your situation it does seem that options you have mentioned are what I would suggest. I had an issue with a friends computer that did exactly the same with a new GFX card and required a BIOS update in order to resolve.

To clear the CMOS I would recommend popping the battery out and leaving it a minute. I would switch the PSU off and then hold the power button in to clear any residual power before re-inserting the battery, switching PSU back on and then re-booting. If this doesn't work then a BIOS update may be in order. This is not the potential game breaker that it once was if it goes wrong but is something that should only be done when necessary. In order to get your BIOS version however you would either...

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Hello bud

From looking at your situation it does seem that options you have mentioned are what I would suggest. I had an issue with a friends computer that did exactly the same with a new GFX card and required a BIOS update in order to resolve.

To clear the CMOS I would recommend popping the battery out and leaving it a minute. I would switch the PSU off and then hold the power button in to clear any residual power before re-inserting the battery, switching PSU back on and then re-booting. If this doesn't work then a BIOS update may be in order. This is not the potential game breaker that it once was if it goes wrong but is something that should only be done when necessary. In order to get your BIOS version however you would either need to get into the BIOS or Windows so if the CMOS clear does not work then you may have to put your old card back in temporarily just to get through this process. Try that and then come back if it doesn't work and someone can walk you through it. You will require the latest BIOS from the Gigabyte website and a spare memory stick.

Solution
Clearing the CMOS is the easiest and 1st option you should try.

1) unplug the computer from the wall, completely
2) you will see that CLR_CMOS has 3 pins, 2 of which are "shorted" with jumper, and the 3rd one is free. You need to pull the jumper out (use pincers or fingers) and place it on other 2 pins. Keep it there for a short while, like 10 secs, and then remove and return to original position.

The same can be accomplished if you simply remove the mobo battery, wait half a minute, then put it back in.

All this should be done with computer unplugged from the wall.

EDIT: Also check your power cabling, maybe you forgot to plug the 6-pin PCI-E power cable from the PSU to the graphics card.

SkyHawksGamers

Reputable
May 18, 2014

Thank you for the excellent answer. However, because I am slightly worried about removing the battery to clear the CMOS, I have decided to remove my new GPU and connect the DVI lead to the motherboard directly (which will use the integrated graphics instead, I assume). After this, I will download the newest BIOS update from GIGABYTE and run it from a USB stick. Once I have run the update, I plan on putting my new GPU back in and trying again. This is what this video recommended, and it appears the creator has the same exact issue as me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKTNwboL9Ho. Would you recommend this? Thanks again!

SkyHawksGamers

Reputable
May 18, 2014

Thank you for the instructions, but I've decided to attempt to remove the card and switch back to integrated graphics, and then install the newest BIOS update from GIGABYTE in the hopes that will work. This is because I fear that I would find clearing the CMOS more difficult and would probably screw something up. Thank you very much anyway, though! By the way, the 6-pin connector is firmly attached to the GPU, and the GPU itself seems to work fine.

Vlp3r

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
I have the exactly same problem with my new Zotac GTX 1060 , Iam using a i5-2310 @ 2.9ghz , Digilite Dl-b75m motherboard.

Sadly they don't have a bios update on their website. And my new card doesn't go past away the splash screen.

just curious to know they might have added new support for the gpu's. I dont know what to do.

Vlp3r

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
Guys , now the card is working on my motherboard , I tried to install a different manufacturer bios over my digilite version since they don't have a bios update , but the bios i received from the different manufacturer is of the same model , now my GTX 1060 is working on my board :)

Vlp3r

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

Even when i got stuck with that problem , i tried several other things , nothing worked! Also my.motherboard manufacturer didn't have a bios update , but i have installed a different manufacturer latest bios update of the similar motherboard model. (Yes, that involves a lot of risk) , i have installed the bios update it installed successfully and immediately my card gtx 1060 started working , if you're using 3-4 years old cpu then a bios update is mandatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.