URGENT USB help needed Please!!

Hey All... :D ...having major USB headaches..hope you can HELP!...I
recently purchased a new mobile which can sync with a pc...so tried
to do so but there is no device being detected by the USB port! I
have checked the device Manager for the USB controller which says
'This Device cannot start. (Code 10)' when you click on properties!
There is a Black exclamation Mark in a yellow circle :!: on it! Also
it only appears as a 'hidden device' and there is no USB root hub
either! :shock: I have tried installing Service Pack 4 and
uninstalling USB controller etc but it seems to make no difference!
My Computer is a Compaq Deskpro ENS P550 and i am running Windows
2000 Professional!...do you have any suggestions? :idea: ...please
help... :) ...

The DeskPro ENS is most likely from back in the USB 1.0 days, maybe USB 1.1.

The most important element of USB device compatibility is whether or not it
draws its own power from the USB port. If so, the port MUST be USB 2.0. Some
of those USB thumb drives work just fine with USB 1.1, because they draw almost
no power. One of my clients tried and external USB compact flash reader on a
lovely, but older IBM ThinkPad. The reader did not work with the USB 1.1 of the
Thinkpad... Ben Myers

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 01:41:07 GMT, fairdinkum_pome@hotmail.com (Cobber) wrote:

>Hey All... :D ...having major USB headaches..hope you can HELP!...I
>recently purchased a new mobile which can sync with a pc...so tried
>to do so but there is no device being detected by the USB port! I
>have checked the device Manager for the USB controller which says
>'This Device cannot start. (Code 10)' when you click on properties!
>There is a Black exclamation Mark in a yellow circle :!: on it! Also
>it only appears as a 'hidden device' and there is no USB root hub
>either! :shock: I have tried installing Service Pack 4 and
>uninstalling USB controller etc but it seems to make no difference!
>My Computer is a Compaq Deskpro ENS P550 and i am running Windows
>2000 Professional!...do you have any suggestions? :idea: ...please

On the older (some newer, too) Thinkpads, look for a USB2 device with an
external PS2 power dongle.

Some external USB HD require more power to start and run than USB alone
can deliver; the 7K60 drives require 1.1A.

- RWM