URGENTLY need CPU cooler for ASRock Z77 ITX (Noctua U9B?)

Hanlet

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014
I have an EVGA Hadron with an ASRock Z77E-ITX MB and the stock Intel cooler seems to be the loudest noise in the case. Its running a Xeon E3 1230v2 (so no overclocking). I just want something quiet with moderate performance that will fit my case/MB. I'm running Corsair Vengeance LP RAM so I assume heatspreader height won't be an issue?

(I heard people have issues with the PSU being too loud but mine seems fine. I have a couple of Corsair AF120 Quiet Editions and they're great on noise too).

NEW ISSUES! UPDATE BELOW

Solution
I have that motherboard myself and it's not a great one for CPU cooler compatibility due to a poor CPU socket location.
On the plus side, the Hadron blocks any taller coolers anyway, so kinda by default you end up shopping amongst smaller coolers which tend to fit more between the mount points anyway.
The only issue you have really is that the fan on whatever cooler you pick will sit pretty close to the PCB of your graphics card and ASRock didn't do a great job on the rear of the motherboard so some backplates will not fit easily.
Memory shouldn't be a concern here really, low profile or otherwise.

Basically, you are looking for a tower cooler with a fan of 90-93mm which should mean it's comfortably below the maximum height...

Rammy

Honorable
I have that motherboard myself and it's not a great one for CPU cooler compatibility due to a poor CPU socket location.
On the plus side, the Hadron blocks any taller coolers anyway, so kinda by default you end up shopping amongst smaller coolers which tend to fit more between the mount points anyway.
The only issue you have really is that the fan on whatever cooler you pick will sit pretty close to the PCB of your graphics card and ASRock didn't do a great job on the rear of the motherboard so some backplates will not fit easily.
Memory shouldn't be a concern here really, low profile or otherwise.

Basically, you are looking for a tower cooler with a fan of 90-93mm which should mean it's comfortably below the maximum height requirement. There's a load of coolers which will work here, Hyper 101, Hyper TX3, Xigmatek Loki, EVGA ACX ITX to name a few. I'd usually mention the Arctic Freezer 13, but I don't think it'll fit on that motherboard.
Double check all of those though, as anything with a backplate might present problems.

EDIT
@ volcanoscout. On any other build I'd 100% agree that Noctua are excellent if for no other reason than their very comprehensive (if not infallible) compatibility lists. In this case though, I don't feel they have the right cooler for this case+mobo combo. Both of the coolers you picked out have significant issues here.
The U9 is officially speaking incompatible. If it was listed as compatible, it would be for the conventional "front to back" orientation, which is not how you would install it in a Hadron Air. Due to the depth of the cooler with two fans, I'm pretty convinced even you could get the backplate to fit, the front fan would have to be removed (at best).
The C14 isn't really well suited to this style of case (no venting above the CPU socket) and is also listed as incompatible with the motherboard for the same reason as above.

Solution

You're right - there are so few boards they won't fit on that I got lazy and didn't check. My bad.

Hanlet

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014
UPDATE: Idle temps are around 40 C with ambient air temperature at ~20 C. Any moderate activity (running a five year old game) pushes temps close to 60 C which seem way too high (opinion?). I believe the thermal paste may need reapplying but would like to do it when I have the new cooler.

I really like the look of the Noctua NH-U9B. Will this fit onto the ASRock Z77 ITX board without issue. The height seems to be okay for the Hadron case.

Rammy

Honorable
Those temperatures are by no means terrible, and well within the normal range.

I think the U9B won't work for two distinct reasons -
1) It uses a backplate style mounting (I think) which means that your motherboard is not going to be compatible - linky.
I personally use a Z77E-ITX with a cooler which does use a backplate, but I had to modify it myself by cutting a section off to get it to fit. It's an ASRock issue, they put a component into an area which Intel officially says is a no-go on the rear of the board. For this reason I recommend using a cooler which mounts in a similar way to the Intel stock cooler (the push+click pins) on this board.
2) The heatsink itself is too deep, and it uses two fans. It's 120mm deep with both fans attached which means it'll extend outside of the CPU socket area and interfere with your graphics card. Removing the front fan and using solely the rear may work, but I really don't know how badly this will effect performance. If you are buying a fairly expensive cooler, you probably want it to work well.

Hanlet

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014

Hi Rammy. Many thanks for your insight. My second choice was the Cooler Master TX3 Evo. Since it only has one fan and the push pin installation, I guess it solves both issues. If you can recommend some good thermal paste (or indeed a better CPU cooler), I'd be a pretty happy bunny :)