Question Urgently recovering deleted files from a preserved SD card

Fran2005

Honorable
Apr 19, 2017
I'm in an urgent situation.

About two years ago I was browsing a micro SD card in my phone through my Windows 10 computer when I accidentally deleted my folder with photos. I immediately started panicking and clicked "cancel" and it got stuck for a while. I immediately unplugged my phone and turned it off and took the card out so nothing gets overwritten.

As soon as I got home I tried using Recuva and some other software on windows to get the files back (this time through an adapter in my laptop's SD card slot) and some files did show up but only the ones that I deleted before. I know it couldn't have been overwritten as I immediately stopped using it and it was about 50GB of files.

Now, almost 2 years later I need the card but I just want to make sure the data is gone for sure. I tried using PhotoRec on Ubuntu and got the same result. I urgently need it for tomorrow so it would be nice if you could reply as soon as possible. If it helps I think the card is formmated exFat

Edit: I'm not looking to reformat it. I need the files recovered.

Last edited:
You need the old files, or the card itself?

If you want to make sure the card contains nothing: Format it, and clear the mark from "Quick Format". It will take a while to format it. You can also use tools like DBAN. And whatever tool you use, make sure you select proper disk / volume to format / destroy!

Fran2005

Honorable
Apr 19, 2017
You need the old files, or the card itself?

If you want to make sure the card contains nothing: Format it, and clear the mark from "Quick Format". It will take a while to format it. You can also use tools like DBAN. And whatever tool you use, make sure you select proper disk / volume to format / destroy!
no, if I wanted to format it I would have done it. As the title implies I'm looking for another possible way to recover my files.

Ralston18

Titan
For @Fran2005

I have two questions.

First:

" I immediately started panicking and clicked "cancel" and it got stuck for a while. I immediately unplugged my phone and turned it off and took the card out so nothing gets overwritten."

Could those actions have corrupted the Micro SD card?

Second:

"Now, almost 2 years later I need the card but I just want to make sure the data is gone for sure." Then you say "I'm looking for another possible way to recover my files."

Clarify: Do you wish reuse the card with no data left on it or do you wish to recover the previous files?

Fran2005

Honorable
Apr 19, 2017
For @Fran2005

I have two questions.

First:

" I immediately started panicking and clicked "cancel" and it got stuck for a while. I immediately unplugged my phone and turned it off and took the card out so nothing gets overwritten."

Second:

"Now, almost 2 years later I need the card but I just want to make sure the data is gone for sure." Then you say "I'm looking for another possible way to recover my files."

Clarify: Do you wish reuse the card with no data left on it or do you wish to recover the previous files?
For @Fran2005

I have two questions.

First:

Second:

The SD card is not corrupted and is working fine and I'd like to recover the data and then reuse it.

Fran2005

Honorable
Apr 19, 2017
From your original text:
"Now, almost 2 years later I need the card but I just want to make sure the data is gone for sure. "

You see our confusion?
Data or physical SD card, which is it?
Yes, I see the confusion. What I meant is that I want to know if there's still some way to recover it or am I safe to overwrite it. The SD card itself is working fine.