[SOLVED] Uri broke my rig

Mar 7, 2021
Hi,
my rig was sitting in a warehouse during Winter Storm Uri for a couple of weeks without ventilation or AC due to a power outage; I know, bad decision. I did wrap the rig in anti-static bubble wrap and secured it in its box. Now I got it back but it won't boot. From what I can tell, no physical damage on the case or the tempered glass.

When pressing to boot, the MB doesn't show any debug code, only the lights under the AsRock promontory plate light up. No case fan, gpu fans, or cooler fan spinning. The light on the GPU doesn't turn on either.

I tried to jump the MB but it's still not turning on. What should I check next?

I am contemplating getting a new X370 CPU just to see whether the problem is with the MB or the CPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item
:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler | CRYORIG H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard | ASRock X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage | Western Digital Black PCIe 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB QUICK SILVER OC Video Card
Case | Phanteks Eclipse P400 ATX Mid Tower Case | $69.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply | EVGA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Last edited:
Solution
reading the AsRock manual, the error codes suggest that I have a CPU or memory problem.
They forget to mention it could be the motherboard itself as well. Is hard to say.

Can check if there's no residu in the slots for the ram or even pcie. Maybe clean them with >90% alcohol. Can clean the pins of the ram the same way. Test with just one stick in the second slot from the cpu out if you haven't already.

Otherwise are you going to need to swap parts. Which to start with is hard to say. Think i would start with motherboard, but if you're looking for a cpu upgrade anyway might that be usefull to start with.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to breadboard the system with the bare minimum, one stick of ram, only OS drive, discrete GPU, motherboard and processor, see if you get any signs of life. You can then try disconnecting from the wall, then remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard for at least 30 minutes.

Mar 7, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to breadboard the system with the bare minimum, one stick of ram, only OS drive, discrete GPU, motherboard and processor, see if you get any signs of life. You can then try disconnecting from the wall, then remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard for at least 30 minutes.

thanks! I stripped it down to the bare minimum, not sure whether the GPU is needed. No CPU fan/heatsink, no GPU.
I turned off PSU, unplugged PSU, shorted the CMOS switch to further clean the CMOS, took the battery out for 30minutes, put the battery back in, clicked on the CMOS reset button, switched back the CMOS switch, pressed the power switch of the case, plugged back PSU, turned it back on, and everything went on for a brief second. All fans were spinning, the GPU light comes on, the case LEDs came on, the motherboard flashed a few error codes, 3E, 14, 15, 0C, B5, then everything shut down again, even the lights under the AsRock promontory plate went off.

reading the AsRock manual, the error codes suggest that I have a CPU or memory problem. resetting the CPU and rams did not help with the issues.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021
Can test the psu, see if at least the fan turns,
▶ Manually Test a (PSU) Power Supply With a Multimeter by Britec - YouTube

Can also reseat all power connectors and gpu+ram sticks to see if that helps, but you would do that if going for the breadboard which is a good idea.

I think I can confirm that the PSU is working, please see my reply above. The error codes I got from the MOBO suggest I have some issues with the CPU or the memory. I have reseated both the CPU and the Rams but still having the same issue.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
reading the AsRock manual, the error codes suggest that I have a CPU or memory problem.
They forget to mention it could be the motherboard itself as well. Is hard to say.

Can check if there's no residu in the slots for the ram or even pcie. Maybe clean them with >90% alcohol. Can clean the pins of the ram the same way. Test with just one stick in the second slot from the cpu out if you haven't already.

Otherwise are you going to need to swap parts. Which to start with is hard to say. Think i would start with motherboard, but if you're looking for a cpu upgrade anyway might that be usefull to start with.

Solution