[SOLVED] US, $1200-$2000, Gaming/Multitasking Build, Heat and Compatibility Concerns, 1-2 Week Purchase and Completion

Oct 4, 2019
Good morning.

I am curious if anyone may be able to offer some input regarding a build that I am wanting to put together. I have some ideas of what I am looking to put into this machine, but I have no idea on the compatibility of those parts as a whole, so I am looking for input. Someone who is far more tech savvy than I will be putting this together as I would like to avoid the machine exploding...and I would prefer to use it in a turned on state vs. looking at it as a paper weight laughs.

So far, here is what I have come up with, but I do not have an exact parts list due to not being sure about the compatibility:
CPU: Intel i9 9900K

Power Supply: SeaSonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W 80+ Fully Modular ATX Power Supply or Corsair HX Platinum 850W Fully Modular Power Supply
RAM (16 GB)

Water cooler for CPU (and possibly GPU?)

Motherboard

Case: Full tower

SSD: 250 GB (just for Windows 10 and a few more intensive games)

HDD: 1-2 TB

Network card (?): Very good wireless capability and ethernet connection

Here are the parts I already have from my previous computer:
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6G
Keyboard and mouse: Logitech, keyboard is wired; mouse is wireless.
Monitor: Dell, 1080p, 24''
Audio: Razer Kraken 7.1 SS with microphone headset

What follows is a bit of explanation as to what I will be using this machine for and the environment that it will be in.
The parts that I have outlined here are not set in stone (minus what has already been purchased). I have no idea what motherboard would be compatible with the other parts, and the same goes for the RAM. So, suggestions in those areas would be appreciated. I am not sure if power supplies need to be aligned with the other parts beyond having the appropriate wattage, hence why I listed two of them.

First and foremost, I am interested in a closed loop water cooler for both the CPU and possibly the GPU because the area where this computer is stays around 90-95+'F in the summer (May/June-early October). I will be using this machine to play WoW on Ultra and upscaled (Resolution scale at 200 and resample quality maxed out), Witcher III on Ultra, and Doom Eternal on Ultra. The rest of what I play are 2D survival games and 2D/3D platformers. Non-gaming wise, I do a lot of multitasking with work-based software (nothing graphically intensive, but a lot of it). I do not personally broadcast streaming content, but I do use my computer for a lot of movie/video watching and multitasking.

Questions:
  1. Is the i9 9900K the CPU that I should be looking for under the circumstances that I have outlined? I am looking for some degree of future proofing here with the understanding that the GPU will need an upgrade at some point.
  2. I know the ambient temperatures that I have mentioned are not idea, but it cannot be helped currently. The computer will have a lot of room where it will be placed, but this is also why I am wanting a full tower case vs. the mid-tower that I currently have. Under these temperatures, is it necessary to water cool the CPU only or do I need to water cool the GPU as well? Please note that my current build of i7 3770 3.4 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 600W power supply, and GT630 (yes, you read that right...Best Buy, enough said) has lasted 6 years is this environment and is still working. So, despite these conditions not being ideal, they can and do obviously work for a computer with the understanding of a potential for a shortened lifespan of the PC. I am very open to different cooling suggestions if someone thinks that water-cooling is not what would serve me best in this situation.
I appreciate any input that can be offered on this topic.

I am trying to keep my budget to $1200 but below $2000 is fine. I know that seems like an odd disparity, but the lower amount is moreso a minimum in this case, not necessarily an ideal if that makes sense. Consider the $1200 the "challenge mode accepted" version of this build if that helps you laughs.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Solution
For your use case, the following build should be ideal and should perform as good as the 9900k, at a cheaper price point...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $328.90 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler | $48.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard | MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard | $209.89 @ OutletPC
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | $84.99 @ Newegg
Storage | HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $107.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SSC GAMING Video Card | Purchased...
For your use case, the following build should be ideal and should perform as good as the 9900k, at a cheaper price point...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Motherboard | MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard | $209.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SSC GAMING Video Card | Purchased For $0.00
Case | Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case | $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $77.98 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $973.53
| Mail-in rebates | -$65.00
| Total | $908.53
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-04 23:26 EDT-0400 |

But in case your affinity is towards Intel exclusively, then...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $474.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | $234.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SSC GAMING Video Card | Purchased For $0.00
Case | Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case | $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $77.98 @ Newegg
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1124.72
| Mail-in rebates | -$45.00
| Total | $1079.72
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-04 23:29 EDT-0400 |

Unless you are pushing your clocks manually to extreme level, the suggested cooler is pretty good in performance. A high quality air cooler like the above or Noctua is as good as a performance water cooler. A water cooler adds nothing extra in terms of temps unless its extremely high end, which is very expensive and not needed.

Solution
Threw a GPU into this build. Didn't know if you wanted a new one.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($116.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 WIFI ax ATX AM4 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung PM961 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($37.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($369.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define S2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($158.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Platinum 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1612.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-04 23:52 EDT-0400

Overall the 9900K isn't worth the money, especially in a hot environment. The Ryzen 3700X has near the game gaming performance, at 1/3 the power draw. On top of that it is faster in almost everything else, outside of gaming.

Oct 4, 2019
Thank you very much for your input, Hellfire.

Can you offer a bit of tech-savvy explanation as to why it would be wiser to choose a mid-tower case vs. a full-tower case?

I ask because of the high ambient temperatures that I have to contend with. It would seem that a larger case would be a good idea for better air flow in general (including the benefits of the various fans, obviously)?

To avoid confusion, I used this link to determine the possibility of needing a full tower case. Is my logic not accurate in this scenario?

Case description link: https://www.computercaselab.com/media/posts/21/different-case-sizes.png

Also, would you mind explaining your choice with the 650W power supply vs. the 750W Titanium or 850W Platinum models?

Thank you again for your consideration...and patience laughs.

-Kawmra-

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019
Thank you, Jeremy. The subjects of my previous questions to Hellfire seem to carry over with your build as well. I am noticing that you also used a 650W power supply and a mid-tower case.

I am thinking that there is a logic to this regardless of my very high ambient temperatures. I am curious to see/hear the "why" if one of you would care to offer an explanation.

While I am not computer tech-savvy, I do appreciate the explanations and seek to understand the nuances.

So, thak you again.

-Kawmra-

Most single GPU gaming systems will never need more than a 650W PSU. The prime ultra Platinum is a very high end PSU and will be almost as efficient as the Titanium version, just a bit cheaper.

The mid tower cases have very good air flow in them. You can even add fans if you want more airflow through the case.

Thank you very much for your input, Hellfire.

Can you offer a bit of tech-savvy explanation as to why it would be wiser to choose a mid-tower case vs. a full-tower case?

I ask because of the high ambient temperatures that I have to contend with. It would seem that a larger case would be a good idea for better air flow in general (including the benefits of the various fans, obviously)?

To avoid confusion, I used this link to determine the possibility of needing a full tower case. Is my logic not accurate in this scenario?

Case description link: https://www.computercaselab.com/media/posts/21/different-case-sizes.png

Also, would you mind explaining your choice with the 650W power supply vs. the 750W Titanium or 850W Platinum models?

Thank you again for your consideration...and patience laughs.

-Kawmra-
Your logic is fine, but a good quality mid tower case can offer good air flow as well if your case fan push-pull configuration is well balanced. Remember, hot air always goes up. So front and bottom should always be intake, while rear and top should always be exhaust. If you have side fans too, you can align it either way but usually intake is preferred.
As for the PSU, efficiency cannot be always judged by 80+ rating. Anything within Tier A is good enough. Here is a loose reference guide for PSU Tiers...
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/

Modified the build with full tower and a better GPU to match the build...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Video Card | ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB CHALLENGER D OC Video Card | $399.99 @ Newegg
Case | Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case | $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply | Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $119.89 @ OutletPC
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1460.43
| Mail-in rebates | -$60.00
| Total | $1400.43
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-05 02:15 EDT-0400 |

Oct 4, 2019
Thank you, Hellfire, for your explanations and the links...very helpful.

Now, with respect to the network card (?) that I mentioned...does that need to be purchased separately? Or, does it come included with some other part of the computer? I may not even be using the correct term, but I am not sure. My current computer has an ethernet port in the back along with a connection where an antenna of sorts sticks in for the wireless connection.

My apologies for my ignorance on this matter. laughs.

-Kawmra-

Thank you, Hellfire, for your explanations and the links...very helpful.

Now, with respect to the network card (?) that I mentioned...does that need to be purchased separately? Or, does it come included with some other part of the computer? I may not even be using the correct term, but I am not sure. My current computer has an ethernet port in the back along with a connection where an antenna of sorts sticks in for the wireless connection.

My apologies for my ignorance on this matter. laughs.

-Kawmra-
The motherboards that Hellfire and I spec'd out both have WiFi and Ethernet on the motherboard so no additional cards are needed.

Oct 4, 2019
Hopefully, this will be my final question.

Will I need a new copy of Windows 10?

I bought a copy of Windows 8.1. Upgraded it to Windows 10 when Microsoft was offering the free upgrade, and I have a backup copy of Windows 10 on a flash drive that was downloaded from Microsoft's website for the purpose of having a backup in case I needed to reformat.

I am just not certain if this would work with a brand new system install?

-Kawmra-

Hopefully, this will be my final question.

Will I need a new copy of Windows 10?

I bought a copy of Windows 8.1. Upgraded it to Windows 10 when Microsoft was offering the free upgrade, and I have a backup copy of Windows 10 on a flash drive that was downloaded from Microsoft's website for the purpose of having a backup in case I needed to reformat.

I am just not certain if this would work with a brand new system install?

-Kawmra-
If your license is retail then you can reuse it. If its OEM then you cant...
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/feature/windows/cheap-windows-keys-3665849/