News US Agencies Publicly Blame North Korea for Numerous Malware Campaigns

I am puzzled by this, as I understand it North Korea has only a couple of hundred computers and even less of them are connected to the internet. It would be easy to monitor all internet traffic from North Korea as there is so little of it. More likely if North Korea does carry out malware attacks than it is done by agents outside the country. If it is done from outside that country where is the proof that the malware comes from North Korea and not Chinese or other hackers?

USAFRet

Titan
I am puzzled by this, as I understand it North Korea has only a couple of hundred computers and even less of them are connected to the internet. It would be easy to monitor all internet traffic from North Korea as there is so little of it. More likely if North Korea does carry out malware attacks than it is done by agents outside the country. If it is done from outside that country where is the proof that the malware comes from North Korea and not Chinese or other hackers?
- While they may have few 'normal' user computers, that does not negate the possibility of having many, many dedicated for govt/military use.

- Being "North Korean" does not automatically mean they are physically in the boundaries of the country

- This is not the first time

- Tools, procedures, code snippets....all can be fingerprinted and might lead back to an earlier usage out of NK

Reactions: bit_user