News US CHIPS and Science program puts R&D funding on hold — highlighting intense demand that far exceeded initial expectations

chaz_music

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I worry that these proposals are not looking for ways to provide foundry services for "jellybean" parts, i.e., LM324, LM78xx, discrete semis, and other common parts needed for many US products. During the pandemic, many of these parts were on allocation just like other parts. Many US semiconductor companies have outsourced the manufacturing of these parts to Asia, causing a resource gap for US tech companies needing these parts.

DavidMV

Commendable
Nov 18, 2021
I worry that these proposals are not looking for ways to provide foundry services for "jellybean" parts, i.e., LM324, LM78xx, discrete semis, and other common parts needed for many US products. During the pandemic, many of these parts were on allocation just like other parts. Many US semiconductor companies have outsourced the manufacturing of these parts to Asia, causing a resource gap for US tech companies needing these parts.

TI, Global Foundries and others can and do cover most of those. The real weakness is displays. We need a display panel facility.

Reactions: thestryker

TRENDING THREADS