US Sales Of Nintendo Switch, New 'Zelda' Break Company Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksharp25

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
The whole reason behind the record breaking sales was two words in your title. "New Zelda". If it hadn't been for that, and the debut big title was "Mario...something", I'm thinking you'd see a lot less numbers and maybe no broken sales records for Nintendo.

Just saying.

dstarr3

Distinguished

I don't really see your point. Nintendo's console sold well because people wanted the Nintendo game on it? Well, yeah. That's how this works. Nintendo made products that people want, so people bought the products. It's not like they made sales records off the back of a third-party exclusive they had nothing to do with.

McWhiskey

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
The "new zelda" helped for sure. But I don't think it is fair to put all of the credit on the one title. The original wii sold with a "new zelda" game.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

No sorry he is half right people are buying this wanna be console because of the name Nintendo and the 3 or 4 games they rerere-release every time they release low spec hardware. There is a reason the last few gens of Nintendo sits and collects dust it gets boring fast. People rag on sony and MS for dragging the gaming industry down with low spec hardware that makes PC ports lack luster and a bit outdated graphics wise but when nintendo does it all is good. Lets face it they did not even try this time around basically a tablet SoC inside that is pretty weak being that its 2017 and this thing will be around a few years and one of it first titles barely ran on it. Nintendo are built for suckers. There I corrected that for you.

jeremy2020

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
Not to mention that everything always breaks records. When was the last time a console released and the company didn't say it broke records?

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
yeah I lost interest in Nintendo after wii 1 was fun about a few months and dead, PC gaming will always be the longest lasting system for me going back to 1990 and still gaming hard on it today that's an impressive feet for me. PC's can emulate almost every console to date and as systems get more powerful with more cores the easier it will be to emulate shoot you can even use wii motes on PC's these days so what do these consoles truly offer, IMO NOTHING but a big waste of money and time, unless your a novice PC user and can't manage to do advanced features or figure out how to do what you want and more with it.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Hardware specs aren't everything. If you really are only concerned about hardware specs and only hardware specs, you wouldn't own any consoles at all.

number1guy

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

People are buying the Switch because they want to play Zelda? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??? Man, who would have ever thought that exclusive games drive console sales!

Sarcasm aside...

Games obviously drives sales, nothing new there. The reason why XBOX and PS4 get so much flack for holding back games on PCs, is because the XBOX and PS4 are quite literally glorified and under-powered PCs in a box. They sell themselves on exclusive games (sounds familiar, yeah?) and would be mostly redundant otherwise. Now contrary to what you said and think, Nintendo doesn't necessarily get a pass on using outdated hardware. The difference here is that Nintendo makes the experience different enough from its cut-and-paste juniors (Let us not forget who revived the video game industry), that you buy their hardware more for the concept and not the "zomg moar teraflops."

alextheblue

Distinguished

If the other consoles are just glorified under-powered PCs (that's not quite true, custom hardware blocks, slimmer OS) what does that make the switch? A glorified tablet with a dock. The hardware is the least impressive of the bunch! Nintendo's games are what keeps them afloat, and allows them to release weak hardware because people will still throw money at them (which again encourages them to continue to release underpowered hardware). The only reason that the Nintendo consoles are never accused of holding the PC back is that many of their popular titles aren't released on PC in the first place.

TFLOPS drive better 4K and VR experiences. So while it doesn't replace the games, it does unchain developers. They gain the ability to deliver more compelling VR experiences, and even for non-VR games there's an increased level of immersion. On top of that, there are times when the target hardware (even PCs, since they do have min/recommended specs) limits what the developers can do. So yeah, FLOPs do matter to an extent, though it varies from game to game. First party developers are certainly better at working within the constraints of their own hardware.

Ronshere

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
They can't be breaking any records around here (NYC) because there aren't any for sale and they haven't been since the Switch supposedly started selling.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Coolitic - I'm skeptical of your skepticism =P. Actually out of my friends at least a half a dozen are at least interested in the switch and see it as something new and refreshing vs. same ol'. I for one am getting a switch, who wouldn't like to bring your zelda experience to the bathroom while you get other business done? I'm excited to see what they'll do with more Nintendo games coming out and the new Mario looks excellent I might add.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014

Your PCMR is showing.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014

It was probably 4+ months post-launch until I personally saw an Xbox ONE in the wild, but knew a bunch of people with the PS4 in that same time period. Despite my personal perception to the contrary, North American sales were still pretty much 1-to-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.