News US sanctions against China boost UMC's production — Taiwanese fab sees growth, but so does China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2023
Look, Tom’s, we know you don’t like the sanctions. Serious question, though: what would happen if China did invade Taiwan, as their military generals have said? Would you suggest decoupling economically at that point? At what point, in your opinion, would it be good policy for the US to begin to decouple economically from China?

Reactions: peachpuff

Pierce2623

Prominent
Dec 3, 2023
Look, Tom’s, we know you don’t like the sanctions. Serious question, though: what would happen if China did invade Taiwan, as their military generals have said? Would you suggest decoupling economically at that point? At what point, in your opinion, would it be good policy for the US to begin to decouple economically from China?
As far as I know, the first item on the US’s to-do list if China invades Taiwan is vaporizing TSMC.

Reactions: williamcll

peachpuff

Reputable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2021
Don't get too political, your post might get deleted 😂

Reactions: FoxtrotMichael-1
Nov 14, 2023
As far as I know, the first item on the US’s to-do list if China invades Taiwan is vaporizing TSMC.
This is true, which is why I said “decouple” economically. Why do you think we’re having TSMC build a fab in Arizona? This isn’t about denying China silicon or punishing them. This is about securing the US supply chain so that if we have to stop all trade with China at some point in the near future due to war that we aren’t left completely in the dark and unprepared. How is that bad policy?!

Status
Not open for further replies.