US Secretary Of State Admits Biofuels Raises Food Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

traviso

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Considering that food distribution still isn't perfect, or perhaps I should say, some parts of the world are so poor, they can't afford to pay the costs to get food surpluses to them, means biofuel will ALWAYS hurt the poor in life threatening ways. As biofuel becomes more popular, people WILL starve to death.

This is why I'm against biofuel (it's not enviromentally friendly anyways, you're still burning "gas") and all for hybrid, electrical, solar & wind as these solutions don't make people starve and have a lesser effect on the enviroment.

Biofuel is the snake oil of "saving the environment", it actually hurts it more.

BeAuMaN

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
Meh.... Replace "Biofuel" with "Ethanol". Ethanol is an inefficient use of crops, water, and even energy, with the way that production standards are designed. Horrible tech that should not have been pushed so heavily. Further, that nice 51 cent incentive from the US Fed Govt only applies to Ethanaol and "Biodiesel", iirc... and sadly, Biodiesel is a trademarked name for a specific biofuel, so other brands of biofuels are sort of left out to dry...

There's other technologies that are quite promising, as I've been working with my father in this industry for quite a while in the California market (On that note, California is a regulatory nightmare). We've had to look at more efficient technologies since California farmers can't afford to waste so many resources being with how there's a lot less to go around here.

As for Biofuel versus other "cleaner" solutions, good luck getting the whole population to shell out huge amounts of more cash for brand new cars. Biofuels are going to be the bridge to future energy technologies, as they'll allow current engines and motors to run cleaner until all those other technologies do mature and make it to the mass market.

Status
Not open for further replies.