US Server query

Hi,

Been playing on the UK servers for about a month and started following the
thread about what US players think of us on the UL servers. And I have a
question..

What's the best US server to play on? Been thinking of downloading the US
client and having a go, but you guys have soooo many servers. Which one is
the best to play on, meet helpful people etc?

Red Giant - lvl21 Fire/Fire Tanker (Defiant)

JACUK wrote:
> Been playing on the UK servers for about a month and started
following the
> thread about what US players think of us on the UL servers. And I
have a
> question..
>
> What's the best US server to play on? Been thinking of downloading
the US
> client and having a go, but you guys have soooo many servers. Which
one is
> the best to play on, meet helpful people etc?

Virtue tends to have a *slightly* higher percentage of roleplayers.
Otherwise, there's not really much difference, besides server
population. There are about 4-6 servers that are typically yellow
(medium load) at US peak hours.

If you prefer to solo, then it doesn't really matter. Personally, I
find it easier to find groups when the servers are yellow.

Buser

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005

Spam yourself around for a while. My personal take is that Guardian is
lousy, 185 combined levels on that server and I can barely find one
non-PL group a week. I'm starting to play alot more in Infinity, better
people, better SGs, getter groups. I am building low level alts on every
server just for fun and to try different things and odd combos, stuff
I've never done before.
--
Becoming aware of my character defects leads me to the next step;
blaming my parents.

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:59:22 -0500, JACUK <jack@bluenospamyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> What's the best US server to play on? Been thinking of downloading
> the US client and having a go, but you guys have soooo many
> servers. Which one is the best to play on, meet helpful people etc?

Pretty much any of them, really. You might want to ogle the server
forums on boards.coh.com to see if anything stands out there. I would
of course recommend Victory because that's where my 50 and my biggest
circle of friends is... :)
--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html

nostromo

Thus spake "The Black Guardian" <blakgard@aol.com>, 14 Apr 2005 17:07:03
-0700, Anno Domini:

>JACUK wrote:
>> Been playing on the UK servers for about a month and started
>following the
>> thread about what US players think of us on the UL servers. And I
>have a
>> question..
>>
>> What's the best US server to play on? Been thinking of downloading
>the US
>> client and having a go, but you guys have soooo many servers. Which
>one is
>> the best to play on, meet helpful people etc?
>
>Virtue tends to have a *slightly* higher percentage of roleplayers.
>Otherwise, there's not really much difference, besides server
>population. There are about 4-6 servers that are typically yellow
>(medium load) at US peak hours.
>
>If you prefer to solo, then it doesn't really matter. Personally, I
>find it easier to find groups when the servers are yellow.

Ditto all that, being from down-under.

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

In article <115vb9cckcgd7ee@corp.supernews.com>, buser@heck.huh wrote:
> Spam yourself around for a while. My personal take is that Guardian is
> lousy, 185 combined levels on that server and I can barely find one
> non-PL group a week. I'm starting to play alot more in Infinity, better
> people, better SGs, getter groups. I am building low level alts on every
> server just for fun and to try different things and odd combos, stuff
> I've never done before.

I've found Infinity to be fairly decent, as well as Pinnacle.

--
--- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
"Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of

"sw" <sw@eyrie.org> wrote:>
> I've found Infinity to be fairly decent, as well as Pinnacle.

Though I rarely play other servers and thus and comparison would be useless,
I do find that my time on Infinity to be very enjoyable. A few in my very
team friendly (No PL'g) SG have started a few toons in Pinnacle and thus I
have a lowbie toon there now as well.

--
8 Infinity Server 8 (Sweet Steel Justice SG)
Purple Kid - Lvl 29 - M - Magic Blaster - Energy/Energy

> Pinnacle Server <
Frigid B Itch - lvl4 - Mutant Tanker - Ice/Ice

"Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> wrote in

> "sw" <sw@eyrie.org> wrote:>
>> I've found Infinity to be fairly decent, as well as Pinnacle.
>
> Though I rarely play other servers and thus and comparison would be
> useless, I do find that my time on Infinity to be very enjoyable. A
> few in my very team friendly (No PL'g) SG have started a few toons in
> Pinnacle and thus I have a lowbie toon there now as well.

Similar to the above, I only play on Champion and I find it's inhabitants
are pretty darned decent.

PI is, however, quite full of wannabes asking for PL'ing - while I don't
get inundated with PL requests (I don't play a tank) - my tank friends
close to 50 certainly do :(

Overall, though, I've found Champion to be stocked with mature people and
have made quite a few friends within :)

--
Marc Bissonnette
CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com

In article <Xns96399A2E81141dragnetinternalysisc@207.35.177.134>,
Marc Bissonnette wrote:
> PI is, however, quite full of wannabes asking for PL'ing - while I don't
> get inundated with PL requests (I don't play a tank) - my tank friends
> close to 50 certainly do :(

This is pretty much true for every server, I think. A tank in PI is just
asking to have a fan club following them around begging for a chance to
help HERD TEH WOLVEZ.

--

sw <sw@eyrie.org> wrote:
> This is pretty much true for every server, I think. A tank in PI is
> just asking to have a fan club following them around begging for a
> chance to help HERD TEH WOLVEZ.

PI? You mean Striga?

Go. Hunt. Herd Wolvz.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

In article <Xns96398AA293633nitropressatnitrosyn@216.168.3.44>,
Shenanigunner wrote:
> sw <sw@eyrie.org> wrote:
>> This is pretty much true for every server, I think. A tank in PI is
>> just asking to have a fan club following them around begging for a
>> chance to help HERD TEH WOLVEZ.
>
> PI? You mean Striga?
>
> Go. Hunt. Herd Wolvz.

Good times.

No, I mean the popular Shadowhunter missions which involve herding many,
many werewolves. Even though these are now timed, they were once a
popular power-levelling tool, and have become implanted in the popular
consiousness. Thus, you will still often see broadcasts of "level
really-shouldn't-be-in-PI whatever looking for Wolf Herding mission".

--

sw <sw@eyrie.org> wrote:
>> PI? You mean Striga?

> No, I mean the popular Shadowhunter missions which involve herding many,
> many werewolves. Even though these are now timed, they were once a
> popular power-levelling tool, and have become implanted in the popular
> consiousness. Thus, you will still often see broadcasts of "level
> really-shouldn't-be-in-PI whatever looking for Wolf Herding mission".

Oh, haven't gotten that far yet, I guess. Shen can just now street-hunt in
PI.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= RorShok: Level 11 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-

<buser@heck.huh> wrote in message news:115vb9cckcgd7ee@corp.supernews.com...
> Spam yourself around for a while. My personal take is that Guardian is
> lousy, 185 combined levels on that server and I can barely find one non-PL
> group a week. I'm starting to play alot more in Infinity, better people,
> better SGs, getter groups. I am building low level alts on every server
> just for fun and to try different things and odd combos, stuff I've never
> done before.

That's strange.

My main is on Guardian and I've only had one PL request in all the time I've
been on.

Admittedly I have found larger, better-organized SGs elsewhere, but I
haven't exactly done an exhaustive survey of either Guardian or CoH either.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 24 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 15 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:59:22 -0500, JACUK
<jack@bluenospamyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>What's the best US server to play on? Been thinking of downloading the US
>client and having a go, but you guys have soooo many servers. Which one is
>the best to play on, meet helpful people etc?

I like Liberty, but I'm biased -- It was the server that I tried first
when I got started in the game (because at the time I logged on, it
was the least crowded), and I've gotten a lot of help from strangers
and havemade a lot of friends there.. Since then, I've tried several
other servers, none of which stood as being especially good or bad. I
think that the majority of people are going to tell you that the
server they play on is one of the best. I don't think you are going
to get a meaningful answer here about that.

But your question did remind me of a fun little thread from the
official boards. I would take anything you read here with a grain of
salt. I stopped believing most of what I read on the boards a long
long time ago.

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=questions&Number=1511930&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

d"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

><buser@heck.huh> wrote in message news:115vb9cckcgd7ee@corp.supernews.com...
>> Spam yourself around for a while. My personal take is that Guardian is
>> lousy, 185 combined levels on that server and I can barely find one non-PL
>> group a week. I'm starting to play alot more in Infinity, better people,
>> better SGs, getter groups. I am building low level alts on every server
>> just for fun and to try different things and odd combos, stuff I've never
>> done before.
>
>That's strange.
>
>My main is on Guardian and I've only had one PL request in all the time I've
>been on.
>
>Admittedly I have found larger, better-organized SGs elsewhere, but I
>haven't exactly done an exhaustive survey of either Guardian or CoH either.

It really depends on a couple things - your level and your AT.
Some are seen as more capable of feeding leeches than others, so those
are the ones that get direct PL requests.
The "personality" of the server community also has something to do it -
some are more open about PLing, some scorn pl requesters.

Just last night, in Steel Canyon on Victory, a level 1 popped in and
started with "can some1 PL me plz, i'm only level 1" over broadcast.

After a couple of iterations I broadcast "So what you're telling us is
that not only are you too lazy to type out someone and please, you're
too lazy to play your own character?"

He didn't say another thing after that.

I had one level 30-something on Liberty have the gall to ask my level 4
peacebringer for help once. When I asked exactly what help he expected
a level 4 could give a 30+, he replied with "not that one, your level
50".
Yes, the asshat actually expected me to log off the character I was
actually playing, pull out the 50 and then feed him exp.

Xocyll

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in

> d"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> looked up from reading the entrails
> of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>

>><buser@heck.huh> wrote in message
>>> Spam yourself around for a while. My personal take is that Guardian
>>> is lousy, 185 combined levels on that server and I can barely find
>>> one non-PL group a week. I'm starting to play alot more in Infinity,
>>> better people, better SGs, getter groups. I am building low level
>>> alts on every server just for fun and to try different things and
>>> odd combos, stuff I've never done before.
>>
>>That's strange.
>>
>>My main is on Guardian and I've only had one PL request in all the
>>time I've been on.
>>
>>Admittedly I have found larger, better-organized SGs elsewhere, but I
>>haven't exactly done an exhaustive survey of either Guardian or CoH
>>either.
>
> It really depends on a couple things - your level and your AT.
> Some are seen as more capable of feeding leeches than others, so those
> are the ones that get direct PL requests.
> The "personality" of the server community also has something to do it
> - some are more open about PLing, some scorn pl requesters.
>
> Just last night, in Steel Canyon on Victory, a level 1 popped in and
> started with "can some1 PL me plz, i'm only level 1" over broadcast.
>
> After a couple of iterations I broadcast "So what you're telling us is
> that not only are you too lazy to type out someone and please, you're
> too lazy to play your own character?"

You know what *really* bugs me about seeing lvl 1's in PI (Or even Steel
Canyon, for that matter) ?

Last night, I realized I'd never made a defender (Have an ice/emp
controller for playing support roles) so I make one up (Sister of Fury on
Champion is born!)

Go through the tutorial. DING
Go to Atlas, grab my level and power, then next mission.
DING on the way to mission
DING in the mission
Meander back to the trainer, taking on only +1s, +2s, DING

Level five in what - 20 minutes ? 30 ?

Seeing a level freakin' ONE in PI is the height of laziness, IMO.

While I'm on the topic of things that bug me, I logged my 50 Ice/Emp
controller into Atlas, just for fun, since a bunch of people were goofing
around under the statue. One guy says to me "I bet being a 50, you
probably get inundated for free influence, eh ?" to which I reply with
"Yes, and the answer is always no. I can't stand being accosted by
beggars in the streets of Ottawa or Toronto, so the last thing I want is
the same thing in a GAME". He replied with "I hear ya, man, I hear ya",
conversation carries on - all good fun.

Sure enough, 3 minutes later, a level fricken ONE starts making the
rounds, asking in broadcast, request and local if anyone can spare some
influence. Then the twerp starts sending tells right in front of me,
asking if I can spare some influence.

That ticks me off. Now, I've done my share of "paying it forward", since
more than a few heroes have dropped 99999 on me for rezzing them or
simply because they were feeling nice. But to BEG for it ? Ugh.

Okay, rant off :)

--

Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote in

> Sure enough, 3 minutes later, a level fricken ONE starts making
> the rounds, asking in broadcast, request and local if anyone can
> spare some influence. Then the twerp starts sending tells right in
> front of me, asking if I can spare some influence.
>
> That ticks me off. Now, I've done my share of "paying it forward",
> since more than a few heroes have dropped 99999 on me for rezzing
> them or simply because they were feeling nice. But to BEG for it ?
> Ugh.
>
> Okay, rant off :)

When my defender made 50, for the next two hours I went around to the
different areas of Paragon:

Giving tp's to the globe and city hall roof.
Giving tp's to stores in Steel.
In the stores in Steel, I gave anyone there 99,999 each.
In PP, I ran around doing buffing and healing.

I was coming down from such an emotional high. My defender was my first
real hero to survive past 10.

And, yes, he did his share of PL missions. But as the tank
follower/healer.

I even did some yesterday, just to work off some debt.

But, now that he's working again...gift time is over.

I now work my alts......I just want travel powers because I'm so used
to them ;)

"Marc Bissonnette" <dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote in message

> That ticks me off. Now, I've done my share of "paying it forward", since
> more than a few heroes have dropped 99999 on me for rezzing them or
> simply because they were feeling nice. But to BEG for it ? Ugh.

I agree with that.

I don't play this game to feel like I'm walking through the streets of
Calcutta, though not even my main is high enough level to be prime begging
material.

OTOH, characters of mine have gotten gifts just for taking the time to talk
to a higher-level character like an intelligent human being.

Playing Impact (see sig) and wandering over Blayde Sqyare to buy some DO's
(Cooke's Electronics is her home away from home) she/I finished off a
shootout with an ambush mob and I found myself talking to a level 35
Gun/Device blaster named Rangefinder. Both of us were gun-blasters doing
the soldier of fortune thing wearing fatigues, boots and a berets (and
Impact was about 20 levels below him). We had about a 20-min chat as
measured by how many times his perma-haste kicked in and at the end of the
convo he gave her 99K.

Impact has two other characters she habitually hangs out with so she shared
the wealth giving them 30K each of the bounty, though I had to fight myself
just a little to do it. :)

Another alt of mine not shown in my sig (an illusion/bubble controller named
Faraday Facade who was level 7 at the time) got 99K when a level 35 defender
was helping out the hunting a group she was in. Not as a part of the group,
just following us around doing heals and such. At one point he asked who
needed influence. It was just as a fight was starting up and nobody but me
heard. I told him I didn't need any but I'd take any he was giving away.
99K.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 24 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 15 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph

Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in
>
>> d"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> looked up from reading the entrails
>> of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>>

>>><buser@heck.huh> wrote in message
>>>
>>>That's strange.
>>>
>>>My main is on Guardian and I've only had one PL request in all the
>>>time I've been on.
>>>
>>>Admittedly I have found larger, better-organized SGs elsewhere, but I
>>>haven't exactly done an exhaustive survey of either Guardian or CoH
>>>either.
>>
>> It really depends on a couple things - your level and your AT.
>> Some are seen as more capable of feeding leeches than others, so those
>> are the ones that get direct PL requests.
>> The "personality" of the server community also has something to do it
>> - some are more open about PLing, some scorn pl requesters.
>>
>> Just last night, in Steel Canyon on Victory, a level 1 popped in and
>> started with "can some1 PL me plz, i'm only level 1" over broadcast.
>>
>> After a couple of iterations I broadcast "So what you're telling us is
>> that not only are you too lazy to type out someone and please, you're
>> too lazy to play your own character?"
>
>You know what *really* bugs me about seeing lvl 1's in PI (Or even Steel
>Canyon, for that matter) ?
>
>Last night, I realized I'd never made a defender (Have an ice/emp
>controller for playing support roles) so I make one up (Sister of Fury on
>Champion is born!)
>
>Go through the tutorial. DING
>Go to Atlas, grab my level and power, then next mission.
>DING on the way to mission
>DING in the mission
>Meander back to the trainer, taking on only +1s, +2s, DING
>
>Level five in what - 20 minutes ? 30 ?
>
>Seeing a level freakin' ONE in PI is the height of laziness, IMO.

Yep, even the weakest possible AT combo can do the whole tutorial in 10
minutes of less (if not getting isolator).

>While I'm on the topic of things that bug me, I logged my 50 Ice/Emp
>controller into Atlas, just for fun, since a bunch of people were goofing
>around under the statue. One guy says to me "I bet being a 50, you
>probably get inundated for free influence, eh ?" to which I reply with
>"Yes, and the answer is always no. I can't stand being accosted by
>beggars in the streets of Ottawa or Toronto, so the last thing I want is
>the same thing in a GAME". He replied with "I hear ya, man, I hear ya",
>conversation carries on - all good fun.
>
>Sure enough, 3 minutes later, a level fricken ONE starts making the
>rounds, asking in broadcast, request and local if anyone can spare some
>influence. Then the twerp starts sending tells right in front of me,
>asking if I can spare some influence.
>
>That ticks me off. Now, I've done my share of "paying it forward", since
>more than a few heroes have dropped 99999 on me for rezzing them or
>simply because they were feeling nice. But to BEG for it ? Ugh.
>
>Okay, rant off :)

Been there, done that.

My answer to inf beggars; "Earn it, I did."

Xocyll

Graham Zaretsky wrote:

> I like Liberty, but I'm biased -- It was the server that I tried
first
> when I got started in the game (because at the time I logged on, it
> was the least crowded), and I've gotten a lot of help from strangers
> and havemade a lot of friends there.. Since then, I've tried several
> other servers, none of which stood as being especially good or bad.
> think that the majority of people are going to tell you that the
> server they play on is one of the best. I don't think you are going
> to get a meaningful answer here about that.

I play on Liberty too. Character info and global handle below:

--
Global: @scorcho
Liberty

Graham Zaretsky <grahamz@ameritech.net> wrote:
> I like Liberty, but I'm biased -- It was the server that I tried first
> when I got started in the game ....

I mostly play on Liberty too. I initially got a bad impression of it,
and only played there because my RL friends did, but it's gotten a lot
better. I like Virtue better, but I haven't played there in ages, so it
may have changed.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd