USA Liberty Act: New ‘Foreign’ Intelligence Law Will Legalize Spying On Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Support PRESIDENT TRUMP! He is STRONG, DECISIVE, and has done MORE than ANYONE before him. Support the USA Liberty ACT, get tough on terrorists, democrats, and others opposing Mr President TRUMP! and MAGA! #MAGA!

Such an act,as those before should be challenged AND nullified as unconstitutional... 4th Ammendment protects against illegal search and seizure. This is illegal search as they will toss it out as a net to see what they can find, without a warrant and the probable cause that the warrant requires.

brantdk

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Since I work with encryption and security on a network level, I would recommend for anybody living or working inside of America to get a vpn service..big brother is your own government and from what I hear thru the grapevine they want all info from Facebook/Twitter ect on people that criticize Trump..
Dear Americans, how the hell did you get yourselves in this kinda trouble? Your nowhere close to the freedom that you constantly brag about.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
My bet is that IF this is made law, it will get taken to the Supreme Court. Of course, with it's right-leaning edge now, it may be allowed. However, the right supposedly supports freedom and the constitution. Warrantless searches are unlikely to be constitutional - even by the right-leaning justices.

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017

VPN ? are you kidding ? VPN is a TRAP. What makes you think that VPN companies are safe and not TRAPS ?

If you have information you dont want anyone to know about simply never connect to the internet while the information is in your device.

3ogdy

Distinguished

I see no "/irony" in your comment. It's people like you who brought America in the mess it currently is in. You should be ashamed for doing this to your country. You're the reason why we need shops selling brains at a discount.

telebone

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
1. SSD pro was likely being sarcastic, the downvotes are hilarious.
2. This isn't a conservative thing, it's a "bi-partisan" (see: paid shills) effort.
3. Most VPNs are probably unreliable, and it's doubtful that our alphabet agencies are in full-support of this president.
4. If this gets anywhere near past congress I highly doubt Trump will pass this, as this basically legalizes all "unmasking" of US citizens. Something which his campaign was affected by, reportedly, unjustly.

Frankness

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Maybe us should change there lyric in there national song from "
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave"

To. "O'er the land of the mass surveillance and the home of the stupiditet"

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

/clap Correct you are. To prove that, I am not repeating the same spam nor using spam emoticons.

There may be some democrat votes but any way you cut it the bill would have to pass a republican controlled house, republican controlled senate, and be signed by a republican president. Even the Supreme Court could hinge on two conservative justices (Kennedy and Roberts) that occasionally exhibit a moral value system. There is of course the fact the intelligence committees receive classified briefings that none of us keyboard jockeys know about. Perhaps there are existential threats that call for desperate overreaches such as this bill. For that you have to trust the untrustable and that really sucks. OR you can run for congress.

We're also dealing with Republicans that at a drop of a hat (i.e. major event) will show their true colors: That being that they are just the opposite side of the same coin. They have surrendered awfully quickly to Democrat demands recently. As to getting into congress, well, you usually have already sold out before you'll get on a Donkey ticket or Elephant ticket... and both of them do everything in their power to keep any other party/individual from having any kind of chance. (i.e. a chance to participate in televised debates, where they can become known well enough to get votes in numbers.) It's a rare thing that an honest politician exists, and it's usually delegated to local government only.

I hate to agree... but people seem to run more on emotions here than they do hard fact. This Country has some unique things about it, and they're being eroded away for the feeling of safety instead of real safety while unconstitutional laws have, in many cases, a blind eye turned towards them for those feelings of safety.

ethero101

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
even toms hardware is suspect of spreading fake news now... directly from the bill: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/50/1806: (i) Destruction of unintentionally acquired information
In circumstances involving the unintentional acquisition by an electronic, mechanical, or other surveillance device of the contents of any communication, under circumstances in which a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy and a warrant would be required for law enforcement purposes, and if both the sender and all intended recipients are located within the United States, such contents shall be destroyed upon recognition, unless the Attorney General determines that the contents indicate a threat of death or serious bodily harm to any person.

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I wonder if this is part of the reason we have seen such a push against internet, and cell phones being placed into the same categories as land line phones. If they were all considered the same then gathering the information would be more legally challengeable. I wonder.

parkerygc8

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017
The patriot act and it's siblings, represent the repression and usurping of the people's authority to control their representation. The very essence of a democracy under attack. It's no wonder this was initially passed during the world wide euphoria folowing the 9/11 attacks. We we're the nation that was attacked, and we reacted so harshly as to bring more enemies to the fore.

Serious, has anyone noticed any real new friends helping us out lately? There's a good reason. At least Obama tried to bridge the divide and find a common ground.

It is what makes us no better than Putin's Russia. After all we are doing the same thing. Even to similar ends (depending on your partisan tinge)

The genie may not end up back in the bottle.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects ... shall not be violated ...
Or, maybe not :pfff:

Not sure I'd go quite that far, but confusion may reign and I appreciate the efforts of THG and Mr. Armasu to inform readers of relevant current events from our Fearless Leaders.

My understanding (always subject to correction) is that under President Obama *Drift-netting* (bulk collection) by the gub'mint of metadata records under Section 215 was outlawed. Big COMM/ISP collection continued "as typical" :)ouch:), subject to warrant by regular judicial means or FISC. This practice purportedly was also limited to a single "hop" --- no more secondary/tertiary climbing/expanding of the metadata record tree.

It seems to me that some Congress Critters (and the Trump administration?) are trying to somehow legitimize (without direct warrant and specificity as most privacy buffs feel is required by the 4th) the use and sharing of the incidental "hop" metadata for LE/Spook purposes.

Lucian may not have explained it very well. It's another Déjà Vu of the "fruit of the poisonous (or, not) tree" argument ... and I'm a bit uncomfortable with the prospect of the current Supremes siding with privacy advocates on this (but, national security ... NATIONAL SECURITY !! )

Agreed.

While I do believe that so long as you have done nothing wrong you shouldn't worry the right to privacy should never be breeched in the name of security.

For anyone else out there A Good American is a great movie about the NSA and how they like to work. It saddens me though as the person that is about is of a dying breed of people who truly cared for his country and did what he could to make it safer and better yet the politicians always blocked it.

steviebaby

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017
If you haven't noticed, the elected individuals DO NOT represent the people who voted for them. The represent their REAL constituents, the ones that bank-rolled their campaign.

Those that do the funding of these campaigns are also the ones that fund the lobbyists. The lobbyists then bring forth ideas in the form of bills to the representatives that share the same donors/backers/constituents/influencers that they do.

And these elected individuals are on both sides of the aisle. And it doesn't matter who is in office. Bush passed the Patriot Act and created the Department of Homeland Security all the while a Democratically controlled House and Senate jumped up and down and said that it was wrong...but Congress is the group that passed the Patriot Act up to the President and it didn't stop him from making the DHS.

Congress and the President did what they were told.

Obama added language to the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) that makes it possible for the government to arrest ANYONE for ANY reason without a trial and lock them up in a military prison indefinitely IF it SUSPECTS that someone is involved in terrorism. A U.S. citizen on domestic soil without a trial can just vanish on suspicion. He did this during a Republican controlled Congress that jumped up and down and said it was illegal to do this.

Congress and the President did what they were told.

Right now you see both sides of the aisle going against a President. Try to find out why.

Status
Not open for further replies.