Hey all,

I'm a US resident currently building a computer for a friend of mine in
Canada, and I need to know something. (Yes, I'm aware of all the potential
headaches involved with taking it over the border.) I have a lot of old 56K
modems laying around that are in perfectly good shape, and I was going to
just throw one of those into the machine, but someone awhile ago was telling
me that in Canada they use different types of data modulation in their
modems and therefore a modem from the US might not work there. I don't think
this is true but before I get myself into trouble I'd like to make sure. Can
a modem manufactured for US phone lines work just fine in Canada, or do I
have to buy a Canadian one?

Thanks in advance,

--
Decimal Cat
To reply by email, turn off the punk rock

jad

"Decimal Cat" <decimalcat@blink182tds.net> wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> I'm a US resident currently building a computer for a friend of
mine in
> Canada, and I need to know something. (Yes, I'm aware of all the
potential
> headaches involved with taking it over the border.) I have a lot of
old 56K
> modems laying around that are in perfectly good shape, and I was
going to
> just throw one of those into the machine, but someone awhile ago was
telling
> me that in Canada they use different types of data modulation in
their
> modems and therefore a modem from the US might not work there. I
don't think
> this is true but before I get myself into trouble I'd like to make
sure. Can
> a modem manufactured for US phone lines work just fine in Canada, or
do I
> have to buy a Canadian one?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --
> Decimal Cat
> To reply by email, turn off the punk rock

most have a language/format/country user selection box

"Decimal Cat" <decimalcat@blink182tds.net> wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> I'm a US resident currently building a computer for a friend of mine
in
> Canada, and I need to know something. (Yes, I'm aware of all the potential
> headaches involved with taking it over the border.) I have a lot of old
56K
> modems laying around that are in perfectly good shape, and I was going to
> just throw one of those into the machine, but someone awhile ago was
telling
> me that in Canada they use different types of data modulation in their
> modems and therefore a modem from the US might not work there. I don't
think
> this is true but before I get myself into trouble I'd like to make sure.
Can
> a modem manufactured for US phone lines work just fine in Canada, or do I
> have to buy a Canadian one?

No difference in modulation schemes; just a different "approving authority"
..

It's supposed to have a " DOC/Industry Canada" sticker on it with an
approval number. Most modems have the sticker. I seriously doubt the RCMP
is going to bust you if the sticker's not there... ;}

I have a Zoltrix 56k in mine and it's made in Canada. It has such a sticker
on it and it works fine here. :)