BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
Hello,

I have just purchased a new laptop from ASUS called ZenBook. Specs are:

Windows 10
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3500U
Ram 8gb

Problem is that my installed RAM is 8gb but my total physical memory is 5,93gb.

Could someone advice what is going on and how to fix this issue? Thanks!

Solution
I see, however, as a technical newbie who really needed the full 8gb ram, it seems that I got tricked or is this something every laptop user should know about? Since 6gb usable ram is really not much for doing multitasking. I shall then buy a laptop with 16gb since its never 16gb but less? That is a bit frustrating.

Use the laptop see how it runs first, "multitasking" is a very generic thing for simply having more than one thing open which most people do with 8 gb of RAM. There is no trick, the 8gb is the physical memory on the chips, what is actually free once the operating system and other components loads will be taken away from that. It's like if you buy a car that states it seats 5, but one of them is always the...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

I have just purchased a new laptop from ASUS called ZenBook. Specs are:

Windows 10
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3500U
Ram 8gb

Problem is that my installed RAM is 8gb but my total physical memory is 5,93gb.

Could someone advice what is going on and how to fix this issue? Thanks!
The "missing" RAM is allocated to the integrated graphics hardware. There is nothing to fix.

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
I see, however, as a technical newbie who really needed the full 8gb ram, it seems that I got tricked or is this something every laptop user should know about? Since 6gb usable ram is really not much for doing multitasking. I shall then buy a laptop with 16gb since its never 16gb but less? That is a bit frustrating.

Use the laptop see how it runs first, "multitasking" is a very generic thing for simply having more than one thing open which most people do with 8 gb of RAM. There is no trick, the 8gb is the physical memory on the chips, what is actually free once the operating system and other components loads will be taken away from that. It's like if you buy a car that states it seats 5, but one of them is always the driver, so really the car seats 4 "other" people. Same with a computer RAM or drive space, you have 8 GB available on the RAM chips, minus whatever the system uses. If you buy a hard drive that is 1 GB, once you format it, install Windows and some programs for basic use you will have maybe 700 GB free of that 1 GB, it's all normal.

If you want/need more RAM you can simply upgrade your system no need to buy a full new laptop for that, but you need to check your model to see what can be added, a lot of new models have RAM soldered to the motherboard which I think is horrible practice since you can't change that to anything larger but can only add more.

Reactions: BasicConcept
Solution