USB 2.0 not showing up

Elliott297

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
I recently bought a Kingston 128GB USB. I used a few time but for some silly reason I formatted it to exFAT. I don't have access to anything Apple so I am unable to format it that way.

When I plug it into my computer (Windows 7 64bit) it makes that sound it does when you plug something in. It even installs the device and it says it is ready to use.

When I open My Computer nothing shows up.
After reading forums online I was told to go into Computer Management - Disk Management and then change the Driver Letter, Nothing shows up to change.
I then went into Device Manager, under Portable Device it shows up as H:\. When I double click on it, it comes up with all the information. In Device Status is says "This device is working properly".

Another way I tried to format the USB through Command Prompt. But it told me that the Path was invalid.

I tried using HP Disk Utility, it recognised the device but when click Start it says "There is no media in the specified device"

I will reinforce to say.
1. It does not show up in My Computer.
2. It does not show up in Disk Manager.
3. It shows up in Device Manager. I have tried uninstalling the driver and installing them again.
4. It makes a sound when I plug it in.
5. I can't format through Command Prompt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simply the OS is unable to read the PD/USB. First make it read, by plugging it on different ports(front/back) USB2.0/3.0.

Try it on safe-mode.

Try it on another system, or another OS, see if it gets detected there.

Try it numerous times but properly unmount it.

Try to uninstall the PD/USB from Device Manager, then Scan for Hardware Changes under Action menu.