Usb 2.0 on Mobo

kachang90

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
I tried reading similar threads on this topic but did not seem to find an answer.

I have a Gigabyte Z270X Auros Gaming 5 Mobo. It comes with 2 internal USB 2.0 connections.

I am using a Phantom 630 case that also requires 2 USB 2.0 connections for the front and rear USB panels.

Now comes the problem. I am using a Corsair RM750i PSU which comes with a Corsair Link USB cable. One end of the cable connects to the PSU via a standard Mini USB connection. The other end of this link cable is supposed to go into one of the USB 2.0 (9 pin) connections on the mobo.

Since I am out of USB 2.0 connections on the mobo, can I leave the Corsair link cable unplugged? I understand that doing this would mean I cannot control my fan speeds from my desktop. Is it safe to do so? If not, is there a solution to this problem?

Most solutions I have read talk about using a USB hub or PCI-E to USB card. However, my understanding is that these USB connections are standard external USB 2.0 connections and not the required 9pin internal one.

Thank you.

Solution
Simply use the NZXT IU01 Internal USB Expansion which has an additional 3x USB2.0 Headers (and 2x USB2.0 ports).

11-997-024-03.jpg

NZXT Website: https://www.nzxt.com/products/iu01-usb-expansion
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-IU01-Internal-Expansion-Black/dp/B0031ESKJA
Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6PS2RJ8701
1) I believe the PSU USB cable is solely for monitoring voltages (after installing the Corsair software). Pretty sure you can't control anything, and that it's completely optional.

I'll post this and verify that.

2) you also don't need to attach the front USB2 cable anyway if you don't want to. The case has front USB3 so there's no real need to have 2xUSB3 and 2xUSB2 front outputs.

*Near top it was pointed out that you only need ONE of the USB2 connectors to supply both front USB2 cables (look at the case cables).

As what OP said, the Phantom 630 case requires 2x USB2.0 connections (meaning, headers; not ports).

1x USB2.0 connection is for the 2x USB2.0 front panel ports. The other 1x USB2.0 connection is for the SD Card Reader.

See the two USB2.0 cables in the case:
5187_26_nzxt_phantom_630_high_performance_modular_full_tower_chassis_review.jpg

Given that the OP has an RMi PSU and prefers to monitor the power via CorsairLink, he NEEDS another USB2.0 Header as the 2x USB2.0 Headers of the Auros Z270X Gaming 5 will be populated by the USB2.0 front panel ports and the SD Card Reader.

Hence, what he needs is the NZXT IU01 Internal USB2.0 Expansion Hub. Unless OP won't plug in the SD Card Reader, then the 2x USB2.0 headers of the mobo will suffice.

Okay, I didn't know there was an SD card reader that used a USB port.

Your options are:
1) expansion hub, or
2) addon PCIe card, or
3) don't use the front USB2 (you still have two USB3 slots) or card reader

OTHER:
You may know this, but you only need the USB cable that came with the RM750i. The other LINK cable does the same thing. Apparently it would need an analog to digital bridge adapter, then goes to the same USB connection anyway so I'm not sure what the point of supporting that is (perhaps it works in conjunction with a Corsair Liquid Cooler?).

The main advantage of the NZXT internal usb2.0 hub is that OP can install it anywhere in the chassis as it is Velcro-mounted. It only measures roughly less than the size of an M.2 SSD. I wouldn't recommend the add-on PCIe nor PCI cards as 1) if the OP has a visual theme going on inside his setup, it *might* be an eye-sore (usually different color PCB than the rest); 2) adding another "bulky" card that uses an expansion slot, mounted usually beneath the GPU *might* disrupt airflow in that area (creating a dead space); and 3) his mobo does not have a PCI slot (only PCIe's).

That one does not work. He would need a 1xPCIe model. That is a PCI model (not PCIe).

The one linked already works well. It doesn't even use up a slot. It just attaches somewhere via a sticker, then uses an existing USB2 port and MOLEX power connector.

I was going to link a PCIe model but a quick glance doesn't show any. They seem to be all USB 3.0 (internal).

kachang90

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all your replies. In my initial post, I had mistakenly said that one USB 2.0 header was used by the rear ports. This was rightly pointed out by Calvin7 and rectified by raisonjohn as it was indeed the SD Card reader that required the second USB header.

I will use the NZXT Internal Expansion hub as suggested. Once again thanks heaps and you guys have been fantastic.

I have finally gotten my first every PC build up and running! Cheers fellas.

Good luck!
I suggest you run MEMTEST86 if you've not done so. It tests the system memory (i.e. DDR4) sticks. www.memtest86.com

Just boot to the USB stick or CD/DVD. You may need to go into the BIOS and select the boot source. In general, I set the DVD drive as the first boot device, and the OS SSD/HDD as the second boot device (so if I put in a boot DVD it boots that automatically).

For USB bootable, I just boot into the BIOS and go to the "quick boot" option and select the stick.

kachang90

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
Thanks for that. I will be sure to run that test! Currently do not have a DVD drive so Ill go with the USB option. Cheers!

quotemsg=19326430,0,67821]

Good luck!
I suggest you run MEMTEST86 if you've not done so. It tests the system memory (i.e. DDR4) sticks. www.memtest86.com

Just boot to the USB stick or CD/DVD. You may need to go into the BIOS and select the boot source. In general, I set the DVD drive as the first boot device, and the OS SSD/HDD as the second boot device (so if I put in a boot DVD it boots that automatically).

For USB bootable, I just boot into the BIOS and go to the "quick boot" option and select the stick.[/quotemsg]