USB 2.0 port

Hi,

I have my laptop running Windows XP SP2. When I plug my USB disk, th
system shows "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a
Hi-speed USB 2.0 port".

My laptop have three VIA Rev5 USB universal host controller. What I can
do to get a USB 2.0 port? Thanks!

Rick

gouqizi.lvcha@gmail.com wrote

> I have my laptop running Windows XP SP2. When I plug
> my USB disk, the system shows "This USB device can
> perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-speed USB 2.0 port".

> My laptop have three VIA Rev5 USB universal host
> controller. What I can do to get a USB 2.0 port?

Plug in a USB2 card.

<gouqizi.lvcha@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have my laptop running Windows XP SP2. When I plug my USB disk, th
> system shows "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a
> Hi-speed USB 2.0 port".
>
> My laptop have three VIA Rev5 USB universal host controller. What I can
> do to get a USB 2.0 port? Thanks!
>
> Rick

You can buy a USB2.0 PCI card and installe the necessary drivers

"trmbr" <trmbr50@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:dc0u95$1ilt$1@si05.rsvl.unisys.com...

> <gouqizi.lvcha@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1122160205.770341.257830@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have my laptop running Windows XP SP2. When I plug my USB disk, the
> > system shows "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a
> > Hi-speed USB 2.0 port".
> >
> > My laptop have three VIA Rev5 USB universal host controller. What I can
> > do to get a USB 2.0 port? Thanks!
> >
> > Rick
> >

> You can buy a USB2.0 PCI card

Easy.

> and install the necessary drivers

Easy too.

But how will that PCI card attach to the Laptop?

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> > You can buy a USB2.0 PCI card and installe the necessary drivers
>
> You probably meant PCMCIA card.
> Like this:
> http://www.bixnet.com/2poruspcmcic.html

No such thing as PCMCIA cards. Disappeared long ago.

Cardbus can be considered a PCI 2 variation.

trmbr <trmbr50@hotmail.com> wrote
> <gouqizi.lvcha@gmail.com> wrote

>> I have my laptop running Windows XP SP2. When I plug my USB disk, the system
>> shows "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-speed USB
>> 2.0 port".

>> My laptop have three VIA Rev5 USB universal host controller. What I can do to
>> get a USB 2.0 port? Thanks!

> You can buy a USB2.0 PCI card

Not much use in laptops. He could get a USB2 PCMCIA or Cardbus card tho.

> and installe the necessary drivers

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>> You can buy a USB2.0 PCI card and installe the necessary drivers
>
> You probably meant PCMCIA card.
> Like this:
> http://www.bixnet.com/2poruspcmcic.html

Yes...apologies....I meant a PCMCIA card - which I use in my laptop

gouqizi.lvcha@gmail.com Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have my laptop running Windows XP SP2. When I plug my USB disk, th
> system shows "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to
> Hi-speed USB 2.0 port".
>
> My laptop have three VIA Rev5 USB universal host controller. What I
> can
> do to get a USB 2.0 port? Thanks!
>
> Rick

Your hardware is almost certainly USB 2.0 (ie HiSpeed) but Windows
doesn't understand this.

I had exactly the same problem on my desktop machine, tearing my hair
out since the USB devices were listed as Enhanced in Device Manager but
still was getting that same "this device could run faster if plugged
into a hispeed usb port" message. Finally I was able to solve it
using the time honored technique of removing every last USB related
device in Device Manager (ControlPanel|System|Hardware|DeviceManager)
then rebooting, whereupon Windows saw the "new" USB devices, installed
the drivers properly, and life was good. Luckily I had an old PS2
keyboard and mouse sitting around, since my USB mouse+keyboard can't be
used when killing USB support in Device Manager.

This technique is often fruitful for any kind of hardware problem.

HTH!

Brian

--
bpratt