[SOLVED] USB 2.0 ports dont work on my motherboard

Aug 1, 2019
Hello, I have recently ran into a problem with my motherboard and its that neither of the 2 USB 2.0 ports work. The 3.0 ports work and the usb ports on my case chasis work but the ones on my motherboard dont. I noticed this problem after having swapped my power supply from an EVGA 750 to a 850. Before then the usb ports were working but now they stopped. So my nzxt smart device on my case and my lighting node pro dont work now. I was wondering if anyone knew what was going on and how to fix it? Thanks

Solution
Well the usb ports are on the motherboard itself so nothing could have disconnected. Im thinking it could be some sort of software issue but im not too sure. I think I should also mention that my power supply stopped working after I disconnected the lighting node pro while the system was powered on, so could that have caused the usb ports on the motherboard to stop working?

Beats me. You might try updating the motherboard drivers. Perhaps you glitched them. It's unusual to have mobo USBs fail--unless this is an old build, in which case, it's anybody's guess.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Have you carefully examined your manual (for where the 2.0 wires connect to mobo) and inspected the motherboard?

IME experience the USB connections on the mobo are among the most delicate, as in, the most easily disconnected by slight movements or brushing them with the hand when doing something else. By contrast the cpu and mobo cables are really locked in there, if you just yanked hard you'd hurt either the connectors or the mobo, or both. But USB slips right off.

In fact these days I just disconnect them before I do anything.

Since you swapped your power supply you may have been in there and disconnected the 2.0 wire.

Unrelated: Remember that the cables that come with the GPU get used with the GPU, many weird and sometimes really BAD things happen from using a previous build's modular psu cables with the next psu that one installs.

Aug 1, 2019
Have you carefully examined your manual (for where the 2.0 wires connect to mobo) and inspected the motherboard?

IME experience the USB connections on the mobo are among the most delicate, as in, the most easily disconnected by slight movements or brushing them with the hand when doing something else. By contrast the cpu and mobo cables are really locked in there, if you just yanked hard you'd hurt either the connectors or the mobo, or both. But USB slips right off.

In fact these days I just disconnect them before I do anything.

Since you swapped your power supply you may have been in there and disconnected the 2.0 wire.

Unrelated: Remember that the cables that come with the GPU get used with the GPU, many weird and sometimes really BAD things happen from using a previous build's modular psu cables with the next psu that one installs.
Well the usb ports are on the motherboard itself so nothing could have disconnected. Im thinking it could be some sort of software issue but im not too sure. I think I should also mention that my power supply stopped working after I disconnected the lighting node pro while the system was powered on, so could that have caused the usb ports on the motherboard to stop working?

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016

Beats me. You might try updating the motherboard drivers. Perhaps you glitched them. It's unusual to have mobo USBs fail--unless this is an old build, in which case, it's anybody's guess.

Solution