USB 2.0 ports on the back of the motherboard not working, case USB ports not working

Jun 25, 2018
Motherboard: AsROck H97 Pro4

Hi, my problem is listed in the title above, the USB 2.0 ports on my motherboard do not work (the USB 3.0 ports do though), and my case USB ports do not work either.

It's strange to me that the USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard do work but the USB 2.0 ports do not.

The blue USB 20 pin connector is plugged into my motherboard. I've tried using an extral USB hub and plugging its 20 pin blue USB connector into my motherboard, and the extrnal hub usb ports do not work either. They draw power (to charge a cell phone, or other usb device) but mouse/keyobard do not work and flash drives do not show up when plugged into those usb ports.

Needing help with ideas how to fix this, I'm thinking sadly it may be a hardware issue with my motherboard.

Jun 25, 2018

Yes, it says the best drivers are already installed for every USB device in Device Manager.

Right click each item listed in "Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers" and look through each tab in "Properties". Check if there is any indication of a problem.

Jun 25, 2018

Checked all and all are "This device is working properly".

Thanks

This problem is strange because the USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports are both controlled by the H97 chipset. Are any of the USB ports physically damaged?

Jun 25, 2018

Not in any way that I can appraise

1. Try updating your motherboards chipset divers to the latest version. (INF driver ver:10.1.1.8)
2. Try turning off "Legacy USB Support" in the BIOS to see if that makes any difference.

Legacy USB Support
Enable or disable Legacy OS Support for USB 2.0 devices. If you encounter USB
compatibility issues it is recommended to disable legacy USB support.

Jun 25, 2018

Tried all of this, but sadly it did not fix my problem.

My external USB hub Kingwin 7 port, and the 2 USB 2.0 ports on the back of my motherboard still do not register to work with any mouse/keyboard or storage device. They are connected to power and do charge, but that's all.

:(

Thanks for trying

Check your power management settings. In order to save power, by default, Windows switches your USB controllers off when they’re not in use, and switches back on again when they’re needed. Unfortunately, sometimes this approach doesn’t work as intended, and Windows fails to switch your USB controllers on again.controller or the devices. To rule this out as the cause of your USB woes, just stop Windows from ‘managing’ power to your USB controllers and devices:

1) In Device Manager, expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers branch.
img_5768b3d657b3f.png

2) Double-click the first USB Root Hub device in the list, and click the Power Management tab. (If you see only one USB Root Hub device, that’s fine)
img_5768b4911321a-600x513.png

3) Un-check the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power checkbox, and click OK.
img_5768b4a64ced8.png

4) Repeat steps 3-4 for each USB Root Hub device in your list of Universal Serial Bus controllers