Usb 2.0 ports stop working after a while (in Windows and Linux)

Nov 17, 2018
The title says it all. It started happening a couple weeks ago. My usb 2.0 ports stop working after a while, usually a few hours, but sometimes it happens after just 30 minutes. Basically my keyboard and mouse stop working. If it happens during a key press or a mouse click, that key/click will stay pushed forever (until I reboot). However, usb 3.0 ports keep working correctly.

Unplugging and plugging the devices do not work. I plug another keyboard and mouse to a usb 3.0 and keep using the computer as a workaround. If I suspend and wake up the computer the usb 2.0 ports work again. Restarting works too. At least for a few hours.

Btw, all usb 2.0 stop working, even those in the front of the case, even if there was nothing connected there before the "crash".

At first I thought it was caused by some windows update, but now I tried it in a Linux live cd, and it happened as well, so it seems to be a hardware related issue.

What could be causing it? Is there any way to troubleshoot this behavior?

Btw, I'm using a Dell Optiplex 7010, with a core i5-3470 and 16gb of ram.

Thanks in advance.

That is maybee due to a physical damage to the mainboard. You've already ruled out software issues.

Do you notice any other issue to the computer exept from that usb issue.

Anyway - I recommend you to run Memtest, because it's not practically possible to predict what kind of issues that will appear because of faulty RAM.

Nov 17, 2018
Thanks for your answer. No, the computer works perfectly otherwise. Sometimes it doesn't happen for a day and a half, but usually it happens around after 3-9 hours of use.

Could it be a power issue? Maybe for a moment the computer is unable to provide enough power for all devices and there's a momentarily power cut, disabling usb 2.0 ports? I think I noticed the red light on the mouse blinking right before it stops working.

If it's really an issue with the motherboard, I guess the only workaround would be using a usb hub on a usb 3.0 port and connect my mouse and keyboard there.

I will now run memtest, just in case.

Nov 17, 2018
Just a heads up. I ran memtest all night long (around 9 hours), without one single error (and the usb ports worked just fine all that time). The diagnostics tool in the BIOS/UEFI said everything was fine too. Apart from that, I've been using a linux liveusb for 10 hours today with the hope of capturing the error when the usb failure happened. But it didn't.

Coincidentally, today I have not charged a usb speaker like other days. Maybe it could be interferring? I'm clueless.

Aug 18, 2019
Hey there,

Did you figure out what the problem was ?

I think I'm running into the same issue on a desktop computer :
  • Keyboard and mouse suddenly stop responding (the decoration lights on the mouse blinker but no response from anything).
  • Since I use an ethernet cable I notice that the ethernet port seems to experience the same issue (ping goes trough the roof)
  • The front USB and jack weren't affected.
After a restart, everything went back to normal, as if nothing had happend. But since it happend a few times already I'm fearing an issue with the motherboard (back panel). However, the fact that it doesn't happen before a while does lose me.

So far it always happend as I was playing R6 and so as the computer was somewhere near full charge.

Thank you for your time !

Julien