Question USB 2.0 Problem

BoKiller

Honorable
Sep 5, 2016
Hello,
I have a bit of a problem with one of my devices. About a week ago, i updated my PC to a Ryzen CPU and Gigabyte mobo, from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and everything is working perfectly except for one device.

The device in question is my PreSonus AudioBox USB 96. It's having problems with the USB 3.0 port (it cuts out if the PC is left for a minute or so with no audio playing), but these problems are justified. It's officially barely compatible with 3.0.

When i plug it into the 2.0 port, the audio dropping problems are fixed, but a new problem is introduced. The device just starts disconnecting and reconnecting incredibly rapidly (more than once per second). I will attach a screenshot of the number of security audits it puts out in the event log, just to demonstrate the frequency of the disconnects.

I have tried everything; power management, a new cable, multiple driver reinstalls, disconnecting the broken front panel USB's from the Motherboard, compatibility mode and every single bit rate and sample rate option that there is.

My question is:

Is the problem in the Motherboard? All other devices work in the 2.0 ports, but this device is struggling. Is it not receiving enough power? Is it my BIOS settings?

I also want to avoid getting a powered USB hub since they aren't any cheaper ones and Amazon doesn't deliver to my country.

Any advice is appreciated, i am loosing my mind trying to fix this thing.

OTHER THREAD ON LINUS' FORUM: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1134916-audio-card-help/

image.png.015e984966d1efd818ff47842d31962c.png

BoKiller

Honorable
Sep 5, 2016
Could you post all your system components.
It could be that the device needs more voltage than the motherboard can deliver on the USB 2.0 ports.
If you cannot get a powered USB hub then try a USB Y cable, which could supply enough power for your USB device .

A cheap unreliable PSU could also be the cause of a USB powered device disconnecting.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIGO4NM

Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H V2
Ryzen R5 1600
Cooler Master MWE White 500W PSU
8gb of HyperX Black Ram

I made sure to get fairly high quality components.

BoKiller

Honorable
Sep 5, 2016
I have recently moved to Windows 10 and updated my motherboard, cpu and ram, and everything works perfectly except for one device.

The device in question is a PreSonus AudioBox USB 96 Audio Interface. When i plug it in, it works as long as i play audio, but when is stop the stuff that's playing, after about 20 seconds the driver just stops and i get no sound output. YouTube behaves as it's waiting for the driver to start. It has problems with USB 3.0, so i can just plug it in into one of my USB 2.0 ports and it should work...
Nope. The device starts rapidly disconnecting and reconnecting (not ejecting), disappearing and reappearing in my device list. Other devices work fine in these ports.

I have struggled with this for the past week and i am starting to lose my mind. I have posted numerous times in other forums, and yet, the problem still persists.

I have noticed another problem, the USB 2.0 ports on the back of my Motherboard are seen as 3.0 ports for some reason. Is this causing the issue and how can i fix it?

I have reinstalled the drivers multiple times, tried different cables, different ports, different bios settings, different power settings and some other stuff.

Motherboard in question is a Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H V2

OTHER POSTS IF YOU WANT TO HELP ME OUT:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1134916-audio-card-help/?tab=comments#comment-13132428

Last edited: