USB 3.0 and USB 2.0

Brad Neil2

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
I understand that USB 3.0 ports are faster at transferring data and more of it from a USB or to a USB, compared to USB 2.0. However I have two USB 2.0 ports and two USB 3.0 ports on my case. Would it make a difference to attach my mouse and headset to the USB 3.0 or should I plug them into my USB 2.0 and save the better ports for something else?

Solution
Hi there Brad Neil2,

I don't really think that you will notice any difference when talking about headphones, keyboards, etc.
My advise would be to attach your headphones and mouse to the USB 2.0 ports.
When it comes to external drives though, there is a significant difference in the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 transfer speed.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Souvik_4653

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
no it would make a difference if you plug it into usb 3.0 ports until the mouse and keyboard you have is usb 3.0 compatible...if not you should certainly plug them into 2.0 ports and save the better ones for other ports..

Hi there Brad Neil2,

I don't really think that you will notice any difference when talking about headphones, keyboards, etc.
My advise would be to attach your headphones and mouse to the USB 2.0 ports.
When it comes to external drives though, there is a significant difference in the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 transfer speed.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Solution

Kratos47

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
You need USB 3.0 devices to take advantage of the transfer speed it offers. Keyboards, mice & similar peripheral devices don't require such high speeds so that's why they're USB 2.0 devices and don't need anything more than 2.0 port.