USB 3.0 Case Header/Cleaning

Demig2

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
Long story short: I'm using an 'old' case that I like for a new build. However, a couple months ago cat knocked soda into the case. Case is completely clean and working fine aside from the USB 3.0 header which has some sticky residue in it. Would it be same to remove it from the case, dunk it in some rubbing alcohol, clean it and let it dry?

I'd love to use the USB 3.0 ports on the case, but I can live without them.

Thanks for any help.

Demig2

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015

I'll give it a try. I've tested the header on some spare boards I don't use anymore and the header works fine, just shorts the power up 1/5 of the time. If it works with a cleaning, great. If not I'll just replace the header or live without it. I just haven't cleaned a 3.0 header before (surprisingly) so I didn't want to ruin it if there was a simple, sure way of cleaning it out.

Chayan4400

Honorable
Dunking the USB 3.0 connector only would work better. That will get the alcohol into all the tiny pins. Don't worry, it can't do any damage even if you plug it in straight after, because rubbing alcohol is non-conductive. You don't even have to remove it from the case, just do it while it is in the case.