[SOLVED] USB 3.0 connectors

TheRealValce

Reputable
Jun 6, 2017
www.valceart.com
I had a customer give me an old HP ENVY 700 to keep. It's got an i7, 16GB of RAM, and can accommodate a SATA SSD. The case though, came damaged, so I decided I would simply buy a replacement case, transplant everything, and sell it. I've been fixing computers for 8 years now and this is the first time I've come across this issue: the motherboard does not recognize the USB 3.0 connector from any of the cases I've purchased. All were new; 2 Rosewills (both the same) and an Antec. If I plug original 3.0 connector from the HP case in, the ports work. Is there such a thing as a socket like this preventing a connector it's designed for from working if it isn't the original, or have I just had the unfortunate luck of buying 3 defective cases? Interestingly too, the three cases' 2.0 connectors worked fine.

Solution
I had a customer give me an old HP ENVY 700 to keep. It's got an i7, 16GB of RAM, and can accommodate a SATA SSD. The case though, came damaged, so I decided I would simply buy a replacement case, transplant everything, and sell it. I've been fixing computers for 8 years now and this is the first time I've come across this issue: the motherboard does not recognize the USB 3.0 connector from any of the cases I've purchased. All were new; 2 Rosewills (both the same) and an Antec. If I plug original 3.0 connector from the HP case in, the ports work. Is there such a thing as a socket like this preventing a connector it's designed for from working if it isn't the original, or have I just had the unfortunate luck of buying 3 defective...
I had a customer give me an old HP ENVY 700 to keep. It's got an i7, 16GB of RAM, and can accommodate a SATA SSD. The case though, came damaged, so I decided I would simply buy a replacement case, transplant everything, and sell it. I've been fixing computers for 8 years now and this is the first time I've come across this issue: the motherboard does not recognize the USB 3.0 connector from any of the cases I've purchased. All were new; 2 Rosewills (both the same) and an Antec. If I plug original 3.0 connector from the HP case in, the ports work. Is there such a thing as a socket like this preventing a connector it's designed for from working if it isn't the original, or have I just had the unfortunate luck of buying 3 defective cases? Interestingly too, the three cases' 2.0 connectors worked fine.

Your HP motherboard has a proprietory USB 3.0 header for the front, it won't work with aftermarket USB panel.

BTW the rear USB 3.0 should work normally.

Solution