USB 3.0 drivers causing mouse/keyboard delay @ login

sumuser

Reputable
May 2, 2014
Hello Tomshardware community. I'm really hoping someone can help me with the following issue:

On my new build, when I install the USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller I go from instant keyboard / mouse access at the Windows 7 login to a 5 - 7 sec delay.

I have been working and troublesome shooting this issue for over 30+ hrs now and have tried almost everything. I have installed Windows 7 64 bit professional twice (deleted partitions and re-formatted both times), uninstalled and re-installed in device manager all the Universal Serial Bus Controllers AND Human Interface Devices, I have used both the USB 3.0 drivers from MSI (my mobo) as well as the latest official ones from Microsoft, I have tried unplugging and re-plugging every one of my USB devices, I have chased every error in my Event Viewer, I also have enabled and disabled my Legacy USB option and EHCI Hand-off functions in my bios (which I updated to the latest version and did a CMOS reset just to be on the safe side).

I have done literally everything I can think of and the result is always the same: Install the USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller and get a delay during start up. Uninstall them and all the issues disappear.

To make it even more weird, there have been a couple of occasions where I got the USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller to work without a start-up delay (usually by unplugging and re-plugging a USB device in a different USB port)... Only for the delay to come back the minute a USB device is plugged in (including when I take out a device from a USB port and put it right back in).

The inconsistency has me worried there is a hardware issue on my mobo. The following is my build's specs:

MSI Z97 GD65 mobo
Intel 4690k CPU
16gb of gskill 2133 memory
Kingston 240gb SSD
1tb wd blue caviar Sata
MSI GTX 770 graphics card
Rosewill 750watt proton plus gold PSU

Nothing has been OC'ed, all stock with average CPU temps of 50c under full load, 40c with most games.

I also want to mention that my keyboard lights up (I have a razer lycosa) before the login screen but will not respond to any commands. I have tried to disable the password feature for login and when I do, my USB Wireless Adapter (a Netis Dual Band 2151) keeps making that noise you hear when you plug in and take out a USB device...

I will try using a wired connection to see if that improves things, but even without the network adapter I still had issues with installing these USB 3.0 drivers in regard to there being delays in start-up.

Any thoughts?

Solution
check the motherboard manual, there are options to disable / enable / full initialization / partial init.
in my asus m/board - perhaps the same for you.
baiscally you're telling BIOs not to search for these, this will mean a fast bootup
also in Boot , select Boot drive only

sumuser

Reputable
May 2, 2014
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

The geniuses at MSI told me to "plug my keyboard and mouse in the port under the ps2" (the gaming ports which I already did, not that it should be responsible regardless).

tommy2steps

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
check the motherboard manual, there are options to disable / enable / full initialization / partial init.
in my asus m/board - perhaps the same for you.
baiscally you're telling BIOs not to search for these, this will mean a fast bootup
also in Boot , select Boot drive only

Solution

domdomrys

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

I started having the exact same problem on my MSI Z97 PC MATE motherboard. If you can, then can you say how you've fixed it? I'm kind of running out of options and it's really annoying in my system as some programs rely on the USBs to be there on startup, and if they're not then I have to manually set the programs up.

Mar 4, 2019
Hello Tomshardware community. I'm really hoping someone can help me with the following issue:

On my new build, when I install the USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller I go from instant keyboard / mouse access at the Windows 7 login to a 5 - 7 sec delay.

I have been working and troublesome shooting this issue for over 30+ hrs now and have tried almost everything. I have installed Windows 7 64 bit professional twice (deleted partitions and re-formatted both times), uninstalled and re-installed in device manager all the Universal Serial Bus Controllers AND Human Interface Devices, I have used both the USB 3.0 drivers from MSI (my mobo) as well as the latest official ones from Microsoft, I have tried unplugging and re-plugging every one of my USB devices, I have chased every error in my Event Viewer, I also have enabled and disabled my Legacy USB option and EHCI Hand-off functions in my bios (which I updated to the latest version and did a CMOS reset just to be on the safe side).

I have done literally everything I can think of and the result is always the same: Install the USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller and get a delay during start up. Uninstall them and all the issues disappear.

To make it even more weird, there have been a couple of occasions where I got the USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller to work without a start-up delay (usually by unplugging and re-plugging a USB device in a different USB port)... Only for the delay to come back the minute a USB device is plugged in (including when I take out a device from a USB port and put it right back in).

The inconsistency has me worried there is a hardware issue on my mobo. The following is my build's specs:

MSI Z97 GD65 mobo
Intel 4690k CPU
16gb of gskill 2133 memory
Kingston 240gb SSD
1tb wd blue caviar Sata
MSI GTX 770 graphics card
Rosewill 750watt proton plus gold PSU

Nothing has been OC'ed, all stock with average CPU temps of 50c under full load, 40c with most games.

I also want to mention that my keyboard lights up (I have a razer lycosa) before the login screen but will not respond to any commands. I have tried to disable the password feature for login and when I do, my USB Wireless Adapter (a Netis Dual Band 2151) keeps making that noise you hear when you plug in and take out a USB device...

I will try using a wired connection to see if that improves things, but even without the network adapter I still had issues with installing these USB 3.0 drivers in regard to there being delays in start-up.

Any thoughts?
I have the exact same issue, my computer was fine it stayed like that for almost a year until I started experiencing mouse input lag. I also think USB drivers are the issue, If you don't mind could you share how you fixed it? thanks.