[SOLVED] Usb 3.0 Ethernet adapter doesnt work

Peanut132

Prominent
Jul 13, 2019
I received the usb 3.0 gigabit ethernet adapter today and i tried it on my laptop and it didnt work :(
To make sure the adapter itself isnt the issue i tried it on other desktop computer and it was working just fine without installing any drivers but on my laptop it wasnt, i tried installing drivers for it and didnt work so i used the linus boot drive you told me about and it didnt work too. the usb port is 3.0 and it is working fine as i use it for flash sticks and connecting my mouse, i connected the adapter to other usb ports 1 one of them is 3.0 and other is 2.0 and unsurprisingly it didnt work.
And i made sure the ethernet cable by trying it on other laptop and worked just fine so whats the issue here

Solution
I think the contacts on your usb ports have gotten dirty or oxidized. Get some CRC Contact cleaner:
https://www.crcindustries.com/products/qd-174-contact-cleaner-11-wt-oz-02130.html

Remove the battery from the laptop and press the power button on the laptop several times to drain any current. Spray some contact cleaner on a modified qtip or smaller swab and polish the usb port contacts. After you've done this, let the laptop sit for a few hours to make sure no solution is left (it will evaporate).

After you've done this, put the battery back in and try booting and try the adapter again. It will hopefully work on the first try this time. :)

Peanut132

Prominent
Jul 13, 2019
Interesting. Try it in the usb 2.0 port using the linux boot and see if that picks it up.
So now it works if i just unplug it and replug it for like around 3 times and then voilla it works but if i restarted or shutdown the laptop i have to do it again I
Im fine with that but do u think it will do damage to the laptop or adapter if done daily

I think the contacts on your usb ports have gotten dirty or oxidized. Get some CRC Contact cleaner:
https://www.crcindustries.com/products/qd-174-contact-cleaner-11-wt-oz-02130.html

Remove the battery from the laptop and press the power button on the laptop several times to drain any current. Spray some contact cleaner on a modified qtip or smaller swab and polish the usb port contacts. After you've done this, let the laptop sit for a few hours to make sure no solution is left (it will evaporate).

After you've done this, put the battery back in and try booting and try the adapter again. It will hopefully work on the first try this time. :)

Solution

Peanut132

Prominent
Jul 13, 2019

Ok ill do a whole cleanup of the laptop anyways cuz the fans are getting dusty and im gettin some fps drops in games due to high teampreature thanks anyways :)