[SOLVED] USB 3.0 External Hard Drive slow speeds

tobleroneII

Reputable
May 22, 2016
I currently have a Seagate Expansion 8TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive STEB8000100 Black. The read speeds I have been getting during my CrystalDiskMark tests have been around 30MB/s and the write speeds have been around 26 MB/s. I have been doing a regular 3 test count @ 1GB test size. My large file transfers have also been running at about the same speeds from SSD to the external HDD. It is plugged into USB 3.0 (although I have tried every USB port in my PC, 3.0 or less with the same results). It also has its own power supply, is 40% full and is 2 years old although I don't use it too much. I have checked for errors, optimized and defragged, and also changed the policies to "better performance" in Device Manager. The average write speed for large individual files on this HDD is rated at 144MB-157MB per second. UserBenchmark's average speeds are around 100MB/s. Any thoughts as to why this external HDD is under performing so much?

Edit: I have just tried to plug the external drive into my laptop and am getting 100+ MB/s reads/write speeds, so it must be some config on my main PC that is doing this.

Last edited: