USB 3.0 Hub+Extension cable performance?

sparda1

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
I am looking at getting a USB 3.0 hub, but the ones that I am looking at online are far too short to reach where I need it and thought about getting USB 3.0 extension cable with it. Will adding a 3.0 extension cable to the hub affect the transfer rates any further than just having the hub? .

Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
USB cable lengths/extensions are limited to about 15 feet (5 meters). As in any cable quality matters.

Does the desired hub have its own power supply? If so then the added extension should not be a problem.

Just be sure that the USB ports are truly 3.0 - hopefully blue/turquoise colored. Not sure that I would also trust the coloring. Too easy to be labeled, designated, "for future use".

Words like "USB 3 Compatible" mean refer to fact that the plug for a USB 3 device will plug in. Not that the hub actually meets the true USB 3 specifications.

Buy but make sure you can return the hub and or extension cable if things do not work out.

Ralston18

Titan
Customer reviews seem okay for both products. Not so sure about the "answered questions" for the hub...?

And if you take a close look at the USB hub power limits/restrictions (read the "Notes") the hub may or may not be up to your requirements. The hub does not have a separate power supply.

The Notes
----------------------------------

"Notes:
- Please keep in mind that this hub is not designed as a standalone charger and devices connected to it should not have a combined current draw exceeding 900mA, hence its incompatibility with iPads and other power-guzzling devices;
- Do not connect the hub to high power-consuming devices. Carry at most 2 HDD a time or it will cause power shortage;
- Some USB 3.0 devices require a direct connection to host USB 3.0 ports, including some USB 3.0 hard disks, 2.4GHz wireless devices such as wireless keyboard and mouse adapters."

-----------------------------------

Amazon is a known entity and I would expect that a return (if necessary) would not be a problem per se.

Just be sure about your intended hub use and the power draws involved.

sparda1

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
I will primarily be using it for USB sticks so that shouldn't be a problem and I can just to pick up a USB 2.0 to 3.0 adapter for my motherboard if I need to connect my phone to the PC (MB doesn't have any more 3.0 connectors to power the front ports).

Ralston18

Titan
Appears that you have a good sense of what you need the hub etc, to do.

Give it a go and see how things work out.

Sidebar: You probably should do some googling with respect to USB sticks and the formating thereof: can be a bit tricky with respect to the formatting. I.e. FATS, FATS32, NTFS, etc..

Reference:

http://www.howtogeek.com/73178/what-file-system-should-i-use-for-my-usb-drive/

There are other such sites and tutorials. Hopefully you are already ahead in that respect.....