[SOLVED] USB 3.0 Hubs Reliable?

gpbarth

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2015
Like everyone else, my machine (i7-7700/4.25Ghz w/Win10, ASUS Mobo) doesn't have enough USB ports for what I'm doing, and sorry for the length, but I wanted you to know what I am running on my system through USB:
  1. Keyboard
  2. Mouse
  3. Razer Electra headset (front panel)
  4. Steam controller (front panel)
  5. X-Box controller
  6. Logitech X-56 Hotas Throttle
  7. Logitech X-56 Hotas Joystick
  8. Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant
  9. Elgato 15-button Stream Deck
  10. TrackIR camera
  11. TrackIR headset LEDs
  12. Logitech Webcam (currently front panel...later...)
  13. Razer Orb Weaver
  14. TM Cougar MFD
  15. TM Cougar MFD
  16. TM Cougar MFD
  17. 16-Port Powered USB 3.0 hub
I have 4 USB 3.0 ports on the back of my machine, and 4 on the front. Which means I have 8 available and 16 needed. And so I went the USB Hub route, and purchased what I believed to be the last hub I'd ever need. This is the link to the hub I purchased through Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Powered-USB-...ZFFV/ref=dp_prsubs_3?pd_rd_i=B07JM9ZFFV&psc=1

It's a 16-port USB 3.0 powered with individually switched ports, 12v/7.5a. And it appears to have been working as I went about my daily work. But then my WebCam was seen by the system, but would not turn on...it was plugged into the hub. I turned it off and on - nope! Unplugged it and moved it to an empty port - nope! Finally plugged it into a front port on my machine - Bingo! So, solution found! Not really! I have had problems in the past with questionable peripherals, and most of them were fixed by replacing them. But with this recent problem, I'm starting to question whether all hubs are equal. There is no doubt I need one, but is this one dependable, and does anyone have any input as to how much faith you can put in these powered hubs. Are some of my problems really the peripheral attached, or the fact it's plugged into a powered hub?

Inquiring minds want to know! TIA!

Cheers,
-= Gary =-

Last edited:
Solution
for this many devices connected to the same hub(~8+), if you plan on having them all running and accessible simultaneously, you should go for an externally powered unit.
a single 3.0 port cannot offer enough power to be split this way.
It is externally powered.

The last item might be of interest.

System Requirements & Notes:
  • Supports 4T mobile hard disk and supports high power devices
  • Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 users should upgrade to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 or later to avoid unstable connections.
  • 2.4Ghz wireless devices (keyboards, mice, etc.) may not work around USB 3.0 ports. Try using a USB 2.0 connection.
  • For maximum performance, connected devices should not exceed a combined current of 7.5A.

Remeca

Reputable
for this many devices connected to the same hub(~8+), if you plan on having them all running and accessible simultaneously, you should go for an externally powered unit.
a single 3.0 port cannot offer enough power to be split this way.
It is externally powered.

The last item might be of interest.

System Requirements & Notes:
  • Supports 4T mobile hard disk and supports high power devices
  • Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 users should upgrade to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 or later to avoid unstable connections.
  • 2.4Ghz wireless devices (keyboards, mice, etc.) may not work around USB 3.0 ports. Try using a USB 2.0 connection.
  • For maximum performance, connected devices should not exceed a combined current of 7.5A.

Solution