[SOLVED] USB 3.0 is a fake data transfer method!

Apr 9, 2018
I just can not understand what is the problem with data transfers with USB 3.0 connection. For the past 10 years I have had 3 different desktops with "USB 3.0 support", but every single computer has failed every single time when I have tried to transfer data through USB 3.0 connection. I have tested with multiple USB 3.0 sticks and USB 3.0 hard drives with no luck. It runs perfectly for the first 3 seconds and then it always gets stuck and sometimes it does not even respond. These are my specs now if anyone is interested:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
MB: ASUS B350-F Rog Strix
RAM: HYPERX Predator 3200MHZ 16GB
PSU: Seasonic Prime Gold 650W
SSD: Kingston SUV400S37240G 240GB
HDD: Seagate ST3000DM008 3TB
External HDD: Seagate 2TB SRD0NF1

Solution
Do you mean where Windows just reports an unrealistic transfer speed, then seems to stop in its tracks while the USB stick/drive catches up? That's just Windows.

With a proper USB 3 HDD/memory stick that can achieve speeds of 100+ MB/s, it works just fine. Windows just shoves a lot of stuff into a cache, then writes it out as fast as the device will allow, hence the unrealistic reporting.

Back in the Sandy/Ivy Bridge days, most on-board USB3 controllers were from third-party vendors and integrated into motherboards with third-party drivers. Some of those chipsets were indeed not very good. However, now that it's supported natively by AMD/Intel chipsets, it often works quite well.

I encountered that a few times when the HDD I was transferring from was failing or the USB was about to die or full or the USB port was damaged or the file was corrupted.
Otherwise it has work just fine for the past decade and I transfer files on a daily basis.

Apr 9, 2018

Well usually it shows 40-100MB/s for the first 3 seconds and then it drops to 0kb/s ans stays there for as long as I cancel the operation.

Apr 9, 2018

My internal and external HDDs are quite new, so they are not dying because of age at least. Of course they can be faulty, but I guess that the problem is in my motherboard or on it's drivers. I have had many other USB related problems with this build, some devices keeps shutting down and powering up all the time, the front USB ports gives shocks almost every time I touch them and I can't install USB3 drivers which my motherboard recommends since installation get's an error.

Are you still within a return period for your motherboard? Sounds like it has issues.

If you look on Asus's website, have they updated any of the USB drivers?

Jul 11, 2018
Hi and happy new year, BUT you are wrong amigo - i have past 15 years from usb 1 to 3.1c, and 3.0 is ok and smoothie for me, YOU NEVER spec what type of external device you own, you dont tell us ws version 10 WHICH one ? 1603 ? 1809 ? please, i make stick with usb 3.1 or 3.0 at each 3-4 month for os, dont spread personal errors like were general.

Beside this, make a vid, with control panel for people to see all installed software, then redo the error. In the vid show us all devices, hdd, cables, all.

Cheers.

Apr 9, 2018

ASUS website used to have drivers for USB, but for some reason I can't find them anymore. I'm not sure if I can return the motherboard, I have had it for over a year now and the shop that sold it to me is in another country and from the looks of it, it's out of business.

Apr 9, 2018

I might be wrong with my title, but everything else I said is correct. I did tell you what external device I have. Windows version is irrelevant, since I have had this problem with my computer for the whole year now, with different Windows versions.

You took my post awfully personally, are you perhaps the inventor behind USB3?

I doubt that...LOL ha ha ha.

That I have seen several times.
In a couple of system it was cheap PSUs, but you have an excellent unit I have used many times without any issues.
In another occasion the person forgot to place standoffs.

Also seen it and it was caused by the case front panel wires.
It could also be caused by the lack of standoffs.
On one instance it was a faulty Gigabyte motherboard.

To diagnose it, take the motherboard out of the case and see if you are able to install the USB 3 drivers and copy files without issues.
If you encounter the problem even without the case connected then it could be a faulty board.

Solution

SoNic67

Distinguished
There is nothing wrong with USB 3.0.

This is my test of my Silicon Power memory stick, 128GB, USB 3.0, connected to a 4-port USB 3.0 hub and fed from an add-on ASMedia USB3.1 controller (on PCI-E):
usb3_128g-png.113982

asmedia-png.113983

misar

Prominent
Sep 25, 2018
The OP said: For the past 10 years I have had 3 different desktops with "USB 3.0 support".

Someone else said: I have similar on my desktop both with and without a PCI-E card for the USB ports, laptops have always been fine. I think that there is something funky with my installation.

I wonder if there is a clue in those words to the source of the "USB3 Problem" (which I have never seen).

Laptops tend to arrive fully built and usually with the OS and drivers installed and ready to go. Few users mess with their laptop hardware, especially with current sealed designs. Desktop users (especially on here) tend to assemble their own machines or at the very least mess with the hardware at every opportunity.

one laptop was wiped and reinstalled with win10 (default win7). However the bad desktop is also an Asus.

personally, latest version, and it's with and without a separate card providing the ports. Same symptoms, works for a while (I'm reading typically), and then just stops and dumps the SD card. Do it on a USB 2.0 port and it's all fine, 2 readers many cards. Tried uninstalling the USB devices in the device manager, I've done everything I know, and have give up.

which remainds me thatu could also try disable few things
go into device manager, locate your usb root hubs, click on power management and disable those power saving features
same goes for windows power plan, there disable usb power down
if this wont help then disabling 3.0 features through bios would be your next step