Question USB 3.0 or above --- Active Extension Cables/Baluns ?

esnrhtx

Reputable
May 24, 2019
Hi all,

I have a question that maybe someone can answer. I am looking at moving my PC to a different room from where I work and play. I wanted to know if anyone has used a USB 3.0 or above active extension cable or used fiber baluns. I would like to go 3.2 gen 2x2 but gen 2 or gen 1 would be adequate. The other question is can you use a USB 3.0 hub with it or can it only run 1 item? I have like 6 things that are combined with USB 1, 2 and 3. It will be used just for peripherals not for charging phone or tablets. Just a wireless keyboard and mouse would charge from it. It would also have an external bluray drive. The distance would be 50 feet. I really can't seem to find information on this and wanted to see if anyone has. I really appreciate your help!

esnrhtx

Reputable
May 24, 2019
Thank you for the response, I appreciate it. I used a 30' 3.0 active cable before and it worked perfectly. I was able to put a 10 port hub on it and had no issue. I need 50' but would like to get later speeds. I see all kinds of products out there and would like to know if someone used anything with 3.1, 3.2 or 3.2 2x2. I know they're expensive but I'm not really concerned with as long as it works. I have read many articles about lengths but I seem to see that active cables solve this.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
You'll get better results with CAT6 or Fiberwire networking, USB technology is barely good for backup drives, time to get rid of that interface.
Also with networking you can enforce TCP for no packet loss.
At first I thought you only want to charge devices, not use them. Maybe two hubs at both ends, both self powered ?

esnrhtx

Reputable
May 24, 2019
I saw CAT 6 cables (some) can handle 10 gbps. I don't know if the baluns can support 10gbs considering changing the connections. It would think it would have to be fiber, which I wouldn't mind doing. I just want to get the PC in another room. I already have baluns for HDMI in place but I need a USB connection for several components attached to this PC.