Question USB 3.0 port not backwards compatible anymore?

JohnnyGui

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012
I replaced my front panel because of a malfunctioning audio jack. It's the same model and I connected the wires to the same headers on the motherboard. The panel has two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 ports.

All of the USB ports of my older panel were working fine and were backwards compatible.

However, now one of the USB 3.0 ports is not backwards compatible; it only works when connecting USB 3.0 devices. When connecting several USB 2.0 devices, a pop appears saying Windows can't recognise this device. The other USB 3.0 port is working fine for both USB 3.0 and 2.0 devices. Both USB 2.0 ports also work fine.
I have checked the USB header; no pins damaged. Both USB 3.0 ports share one header so it seems unlikely that this could be a hardware damage since one USB 3.0 port is working fine.

When looking in Device Manager I can see one USB 3.0 port is called Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft). The other USB 3.0 port is called USB - Root Hub (USB 3.0). There is no yellow bang. My Gigabyte motherboard Z370 support page is not showing any USB drivers and I've already tried installing the latest chipset drivers.

What is the culprit here? Did Windows install a new particular driver when I replaced my front panel?

Last edited: