[SOLVED] USB 3.0 Slots running as 2.0

Decimator216

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
Hello all,

My ASUS Prime X299-A has many 3.0 USB slots including a 3.1 Gen 2 Type C that I was planning on using for VR. Well I bought my Quest 2 and after trying multiple cords all showing my connection as USB 2, I did some digging using USBDeview.

All of my USB slots show as 2.0, the C slot shows as 2.1. I've tried numerous ways to update my drivers. Uninstalling, installing manually, disabled USB host controllers (all via Device Manager). I've updated my bios to the latest version and there is no option to turn USB 3.0 on or off. There is an option to turn ports off individually, but they are all on and all ports WORK but just not running at 3.0 effectiveness.

I'm at wits end. Thoughts?

Rig (Built in 2017):
MB: ASUS Prime X299-A
Intel: 7820x
GPU: 1080 GTX
Ram: 16gb GSkill 3200
PSU: Corsair 750W

Solution
ASUS wants $35 to diagnose (1 month out of warranty) and more to fix. I've ordered a PCI card for 3.1 Gen 2. We'll see if it recognizes the card/it's usable for Quest 2 before I go through a lengthy RMA process.

Well that is awful customer service.

All usb cards are not created the same. Get a good one. Those which split bandwidth between ports have proven troublesome with some vr headsets.

If it has 4 ports make sure it has 4 chips and a pcie x4 connection

Decimator216

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
Using a Flash Drive in my USB A 3.1, Gen 2, my sequential read was 21.17MB/s and write was 6.92MB/s. It's a generic, 2.0 flash drive though. I'm fresh out of any external 3.0 drives.

Random was much worse.

Last edited:

Decimator216

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
Also noticing that my front side case 3.0 USB drives that are connected to the MB using the MB Gen 3 connecter show as USB version 2.

I'm beginning to think something is just outright wrong with the MB and I'm just noticing it now because I had no use for USB 3.0 before now.

Decimator216

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016

Decimator216

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
ASUS wants $35 to diagnose (1 month out of warranty) and more to fix. I've ordered a PCI card for 3.1 Gen 2. We'll see if it recognizes the card/it's usable for Quest 2 before I go through a lengthy RMA process.

All usb cards are not created the same. Get a good one. Those which split bandwidth between ports have proven troublesome with some vr headsets.

Reactions: Skyholder96
Solution

Decimator216

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016

I went with this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013FDFGTI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 as it says Gen 2 x 2 which sounds like it has enough bandwidth for both ports (I'll only ever use one).

Otherwise, I'll be eyeing the Rosewill RC-20003 https://www.rosewill.com/product/rc...achieve fully utilization of 10Gbps data rate

Thoughts?

Decimator216

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
Welp, the PCIe expansion card I ordered defaulted to 2.0. I'm assuming board is screwed up. ASUS is about to get an earful if they think they are charging me for this.

Mod Edit for Language

Last edited by a moderator: