[SOLVED] USB 3.0 vs USB 3.1 for Hard Drive Dock

Feb 15, 2020
I'm looking to upgrade my 'drop in' style USB 2.0 Dock/Docking Station.

It will be used for reading SSD's and HDD's.

Will I see any difference in performance between a USB 3.0 dock and aUSB 3.1 (gen2) dock?

Thanks.

Solution
For an SSD, maybe. For a HDD, not at all.

Chances are though that since you, and everybody else, will rarely be writing or reading sequential data that consists of only extremely large files that can actually utilize the full SATA bandwidth that you would rarely saturate the USB 3.0 bus consistently enough for it to be an issue. If you plan to consistently transfer 5GB or larger files, only, to and from ONLY SSD to SSD, then you would probably benefit from USB 3.1 Gen 2, otherwise USB 3.0/3.1 should more than suffice.
For an SSD, maybe. For a HDD, not at all.

Chances are though that since you, and everybody else, will rarely be writing or reading sequential data that consists of only extremely large files that can actually utilize the full SATA bandwidth that you would rarely saturate the USB 3.0 bus consistently enough for it to be an issue. If you plan to consistently transfer 5GB or larger files, only, to and from ONLY SSD to SSD, then you would probably benefit from USB 3.1 Gen 2, otherwise USB 3.0/3.1 should more than suffice.

Last edited:
Solution