USB 3.1 Flash Drive not achieving optimal speeds.

Cagruntas

Honorable
Aug 22, 2016
I am currently using a Kingston Traveller USB 3.1 flash drive that I just bought but I am only getting transfer rates of 11 Mb/s when I am putting files onto the flash drive and 123 Mb/s when I transferring files from the flash drive to a desktop.

I am currently using an Asus x99 Sabertooth motherboard which has USB 3.1 ports and also software allows USB 3.1 boost and I am 100% sure it's plugged in the right port so I'm not sure what the problem is, I've been trying for hours to get this to work properly.Please help :) Thanks in advance for the replies.

Solution
Unfortunately you're another "victim" of the USB 3.0/USB 3.1 "switcheroo", as I'll explain.

The Kingston USB flash drive you purchased is the Data Traveler 100 G3 model. For all practical purposes it's a USB 3.0 model.

I can see the heading on the website refers to the flash drive as "USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB 3.0)" and apparently you either failed to notice the USB 3.0 designation or the vendor from whom you purchased this item referred to it simply as a "USB 3.1" device.

The new USB speed naming conventions as promulgated by the industry association is a study in misrepresentation & confusion. It’s an absolute disgrace for consumers, since because of this new USB naming convention most of these consumers will have no idea that there can...

Cagruntas

Honorable
Aug 22, 2016

Hey thanks for the reply, http://www.kingston.com/us/usb/personal_business/dt100g3 , this one is the one I bought

Unfortunately you're another "victim" of the USB 3.0/USB 3.1 "switcheroo", as I'll explain.

The Kingston USB flash drive you purchased is the Data Traveler 100 G3 model. For all practical purposes it's a USB 3.0 model.

I can see the heading on the website refers to the flash drive as "USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB 3.0)" and apparently you either failed to notice the USB 3.0 designation or the vendor from whom you purchased this item referred to it simply as a "USB 3.1" device.

The new USB speed naming conventions as promulgated by the industry association is a study in misrepresentation & confusion. It’s an absolute disgrace for consumers, since because of this new USB naming convention most of these consumers will have no idea that there can be no difference whatsoever re speed between a device advertised as USB 3.0 and another device advertised as USB 3.1.

USB 3.0 speed is 5 Gbps.

The new designations for USB devices (as promulgated by the USB Implementers Forum) are...
USB 3.1 Gen 1 and USB 3.1 Gen 2

USB 3.1 Gen 1 speed is 5 Gbps - NOTE IT IS THE IDENTICAL SPEED FOR WHAT WE HAVE TRADITIONALLY TERMED USB 3.0
Supposedly manufacturers are encouraged to use the designation "SuperSpeed USB" for these 5 Gbps devices.

USB 3.1 Gen 2 speed is 10 Gbps
Supposedly manufacturers are encouraged to use the designation "SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbps" for these devices.

So when you see a USB device (flash drive, etc.) advertised as "USB 3.1" it's a virtual certainty that device is what we formerly called a USB 3.0 flash drive. Only when it's specifically designated as a "USB 3.1 Gen 2" device can you be sure it's what we would ordinarily call a USB 3.1 device.

Now in Kingston's defense (at least with respect to the website you referred us to), it was indicated that your flash drive was a "USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB 3.0)" device. From what I've seen that's more than most of the advertisements for "USB 3.1" devices have shown. At least there was a reference to "USB 3.0".

Solution

I'm afraid I don't quite agree with you. But yes 3.0 and 3.1 Gen 1 are the same but this doesn't have any relevance to the original posting which is in regards to the speeds of their device.

Admittedly there could be a problem with the data transfer rates involving the OP's current Kingston flash drive. But a crucial element in this post is the fact that the OP has a system providing USB 3.1 Gen 2 capability and he was under the impression he was purchasing a device with that higher speed capability presumably afforded by a "USB 3.1" device. Instead, apparently unbeknownst to him, he purchased a USB 3.0 device through no fault of his own.