[SOLVED] usb 3.1 gen 2 internal (female) to any usb connector (internal or external)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHiddeS

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
I recently bought a lian li PC-O11 Dynamic and it has a usb c front panel connection.

Now, my motherboard (asus TUF mark 2) does not have a usb c (3.1 gen 2) connection.

So I was wondering if there are any converting cable or hubs that have an internal usb C connection?

I have not been able to find anything anywhere that offers this, am I looking in the wrong places or am I missing something?

I dont really mind if the speed gets lowered I kinda just want the usb c on the front panel of my case to work instead of being dead.

Any help would be appreciated.

MrHiddeS

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
I don't even know WHAT that connection is. None of the internal USB 3.1 gen2 adapters seem to have anything like that. It certainly looks nothing like any of the internal USB 3.1 headers on any board I've seen. It's possible the 3.1 gen 2 adapters have a different physical configuration but if so I haven't seen one like that yet.

Plus, every USB header on every motherboard I've ever worked on, has been male. The cable end has always been female. I think you need to contact Lian-Li and ask them. Aside from a PCI slot adapter, there is no other way to do this if the board does not have native USB 3.1 gen2 onboard already.

Actually, I see them now. Let me look a bit more. I don't think there are any out there, but who knows.

I'm not seeing ANY cards out there with gen2 headers that look like the front panel connectors on motherboards with native gen2 support. I think you'll either have to get a board that supports it, which won't be anything older than the current Ryzen and Coffee boards, or get a 19 pin usb 3.1 adapter cable to adapt that but you won't have gen2 speeds then.

Krieger119

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Hey, guys. I'm bumping this because I'm in this current predicament. Has there been anything new on this?
I've got that same front panel Usb Type C that connects to the mobo with that weird looking L shaped male connector. However my mobo doesn't have a female connection for it. Only usb 3.0 female connectors.
Is there some kind of adapter or something to make that front panel usb type C functional?

dkopsieker

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016
I cant believe no company has created a solution for this! I would think it would be a much larger problem than it apparently is... I am in the same boat, by the way. New case, but no USB 3.1 Gen 2 connector on the motherboard.

The problem is, there are not hundreds and thousands of people out there trying to do this, like there are for other problems. No company is likely to invest the money in R&D, product development and manufacturing, not to mention marketing and shipping products, that are only going to be purchased by a handful of people.

Most people won't be looking for a similar solution as they won't be DOING this anyhow. So there is no financial incentive for a company to provide these kinds of adapters that are not going to be usable on other types of configurations as well. This is an incredibly niche market, so until it becomes more widespread you can expect to run into similar problems when trying to do anything that is outside the box so to speak.

Krieger119

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Yeah, I just ended up returning my board to Micro Center and being the Aorus X470 Gaming 5 WiFi instead which had the connector onboard.
I saw company that had a pcie card but even that isn't suitable imo. But yeah, the problem just isn't big enough yet.

Aug 7, 2019
Hi everyone, This is my first post & I know this is an old thread but I found it while searching for a similar solution for my new PC-O11 Dynamic, Silverstone now makes this: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=844&area=en

ecu02-34right-top.jpg

And it's pretty much the perfect solution and it's also pretty cheap compared to the other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.